Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 93 dakota v8 4wd back from a trip to nearest self service junkyard 100 miles away.After a long and relatively successful day I was 12 miles from home at 10 pm when the truck just stalled out and I coasted to the side of the road.I opened the hood and checked everything but I didnt see any obvious problems so I checked out the relay box and moved relays around to see if I could get it start.no joy so I ended up having a friend tow me back into town with the transmission in park and the Tcase in neutral.I checked the codes when I got home but I only got BS codes relating the relays I swapped around(ac relay...).I thought I might have killed the fuel pump because the fuel gauges doesn't work so I have to rely on the low fuel light to tell me when to fill up.In fact the low fuel light came up when I was 50ish miles from home so I put $20 forth of fuel in when I was 30 miles from home just to make it home..I had a friend cycle the ignition key while I crawled under the truck.The fuel pump kicked on for a couple of seconds each time he cycled it.Then I had him cycle the ignition 3 times and try to start the truck to see if the pump was building enough pressure-cranks but no start,maybe a couple cylinders tried to start but nothing with enough conviction to actually start the truck.At this point I'm thinking something ignition related because it was cruising at 70 mph one second,and the next second it was completely dead in the water.I haven't checked spark or fuel pressure yet but any ideas  where to start?I had a 94 dodge spirit that stalled out on me while driving and it turned out to be map sensor but it usually would hiccup or stutter before outright stalling out so I'm not sure if it is a similar or different problem.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
where to start ? codes , fuel pressure , cam sensor , crank sensor ,  you already KNOW you have a problem with the fuel pump/gauge assembly so yeah fuel pressure gauge on the rail ..

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its my 93 dakota with a 5.2L magnum v8 engine.

·
Administrator
62,301 Posts
The one thing on the magnum engines that will cause a no start, and not throw a code, is the crank pos sensor, or the wiring going to it. Its the one that is hard to get to, behind the passenger side head.

If the computer does not see the signal from it, it will not fire the injectors, or spark plugs. It just thinks you turned the key to on, and left it there.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I have no spark at the spark plugs.Distributor rotor spins.Tested for voltage at the coil plug, it fluctuates from 12-0 V as the engine is cranked.So does that mean dead coil?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked the coil with the multimeter and it was shorted internally.There was continuty between both positive and negative pins and the secondary output.

·
Super Moderator
14,339 Posts
RedneckInTraining said:
checked the coil with the multimeter and it was shorted internally.There was continuty between both positive and negative pins and the secondary output.
Well there's your answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.