Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 Ramcharger won't shift from first gear. I noticed it was holding on to first gear longer that i liked for a couple days, now it won't shift from first at all. I changed the fluid and filter, but it didn't seem to help. Still won't shift. It also doesn't like to shift to park. I have to shift it to park real fast, otherwise it just goes to reverse and stays there. It did all this at the same time in just a couple days. Is something out of adjustment? It is a 4x4, 4 speed auto, behind a Magnum 318, if that helps.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The piston for the first/reverse band is worn and hung up. They are bad about doing this. You'll have to get a new piston assembly and, probably, a new band. Hopefully the drum is still ok. The main thing is DON'T DRIVE IT until you get it fixed!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't know jack about auto trannys, so my next questions may sound dumb. Is this something that can be fixed with the transmission in the truck? I work on my own trucks, but try to stay away from auto trannys. How difficult is a repair such as this?

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
if im not mistaken the tranny has to be dropped and is a pain in the butt to fix

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
If its just the piston you can do it in the drive if its the band..... Thats a rebuild. If its the drum also its a rebuild with hard parts (More expencive)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts