Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 92 w250 and it seems like I'm not getting power to the pump, which relay runs the pump? Any other likely issues?  How many volts do these pumps take? 
Edit, i switched the four prong relays around and i have power to the pump for about a second and when its cranking. 

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
The pump takes 12 volts. Computer only turns it on for 1-2 seconds unless it starts. If the engine runs, the computer keeps the pump powered. This is to prevent continued fuel delivery in an accident, engine fire, etc

Check for error codes - cycle key off-on (not to the start position) 3 times and count the sequence of light flashing in the dash. Those are your error codes

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
  You should check the crankshaft position sensor.  You will need a multi-meter.  Once the 2 seconds have passed the auto shutdown relay needs a signal from the CPS in order to send power to the fuel pump relay.

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
comrade cheddar said:
You should check the crankshaft position sensor. You will need a multi-meter. Once the 2 seconds have passed the auto shutdown relay needs a signal from the CPS in order to send power to the fuel pump relay.
This is a '92 360. It should be TBI. So no CPS in this one. The Hall-effect sensor, of course, definitely on the possible list. But I'd be interested in seeing what codes he gets and fuel pressure first.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if the relays were an issue but i rigged a pump from my 90 and got itrunning so its time for a pump.  The only codes i had were 12 and 41 so no issues there.

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
okay good. Checking fuel pressure was the next step but you went around that with the other pump lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems to be running pretty well, need to put in some fresh gas and see how it does.  Someone has cut off the cat so i need to fix that or at least add pipe in, is there supposed to be an  o2 sensor somewhere?  Pickup is a 360 engine.

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
Yes there should be a single O2 sensor way up on the exhaust pipe. I've never done one on these trucks but I'm told its a PITA to get out and you definitely need the special socket to help

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
Correct, and it would be running pretty poorly without it also. The TBI system is not very robust and it needs every input it can get

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.