Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have a 92 ramcharger that i just acquired that is having problems. i am goimg to try and give as much info as possible, but may not have all the details needed because i am not in the same state as the truck. long story short, i bought it from oregon so my buddy could drive it to wisconsin for me so i could have a rust free truck.

the truck starts and runs great in neutral or park. revs nicely and idles perfect. starts right up without a hiccup. my friend test drove it and it drove perfect when he went to pick it up. he drove it away from the place he met the previous owner and about 10 miles down the road it started to bog down really bad and backfire out of the intake. wouldnt go past about 50 mph on the freeway.

the computer is showing no codes, new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, and the firing order is correct.

i am not there to diagnose it so im hoping someone has had a similar problem to give me some ideas. if any other info is needed, i can ask him.

thanks in advance for ideas to check

·
Registered
29,344 Posts
what he said above

G

·
If the Hall effect sensor is failing, and it probably is, that can cause low fuel pressure in an otherwise good system, so fix that first. If a 318 Magnum, the intake belly pan gasket is probably bad as well.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Im no expert but a '92 318 should be a Magnum, right?  So his problems could be from the infamous blown valley pan gasket?  

Easy fix available over at Hughes Engines.

Magnums don't have Hall effects sensors, IIRC.

Cheers

Chris

P.S.  watch out for hidden hippies in that Oregon truck!

G

·
Ok, ok, it's not the Hall effect, but is called the distributor ignition pickup. Looks like a duck, quacks  like a duck, even hangs out in the same place. Wears out just the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was just going to ask if it was the ignition pickup, so thank you for the reply.

are there other symptoms to this gasket failing? my friend said that there is a oil leak that started that wasnt there when he drove it the first time. not sure if this just means the guy pressure washed it or not, but he said that the motor didnt look like it had been cleaned before he got it.

thank you for the replies!!

G

·
As the gasket fails, it'll run worse, oil consumption may be noted. The quick way to check is to look down through the throttle body with a flashlight. If it looks oily in there it's bad.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Did someone step on a duck?!

Like I said not an expert just retyping what I have read here on RCC (a dangerous habit) never even owned a new gen Magnum. 

I though the dist housing was there for fuel injection timing or signal to the computer but had nothing to do with the timing?  Not saying there isn't anything in there more curious than anything. I  Probably should shut up now so i don't end up hijacking this thread!

Still vote for valley pan.

Cheers

Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
x2 sounds like belly pan gasket.  do some reading and see if it matches your symptoms.  Look inside intake for oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts