Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I may be buying a '92 Ramcharger with the auto with overdrive. The trans makes a clunking noise when you put it in gear. Sounds like it is coming from the bellhousing area, the owner says he had a new converter put in it. Is it possible the wrong converter was used or maybe not fully seated in the pump? Also when driving it up the road it will not shift out of 2nd gear. 1st and 2nd work fine, but it will not go any higher. Turning the OD switch on and off has no effect. I also noticed the speedometer was not working, I dont know if that has any bearing on the other problems.

If I cant get the overdrive tranny fixed for a reasonable amount of money, is it possible to put an older model 3 speed 727 in its place?

Thanks in advance.
Reid.

·
7,995 Posts
You need to have the computer scanned for error codes...sounds like to me that there may be an electronic problem with the tranny and the computer will not let it shift out of 2nd...they call that "limp" mode....it's there to limp you home and very slowly.

·
Registered
29,686 Posts
well for one thing l,d check the kick down linkage / between that and the speedo not working on a EFI truck the thing wont shift / as far as the clunk go,s its a DODGE thing and dont worry about it / do a search and you,ll see what l mean / you hafta keep the OD tranny for the EFI to work

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This clunk is not the usual Dodge clunk. I owned an '88 Ramcharger and it is not the same noise. It is coming from the bellhousing area. When put in gear, it acts as if the engine has to turn the flexplate/converter about a half of a turn before it engages anything. I never thought about the computer being in limp in mode. Thanks, Reid.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
what i would check for that is pull the inspection cover and make sure the TC bolts are tight. thats what it sounds like to me anyway. as for the speedo not workin i would make sure the sensor is plugged in and clean. thats all i can think of off hand!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts