Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 RC never came with any cover panel over the inside latch release handle on my liftgate. I've always thought mine was just missing.

I did a search to see if I could find a replacement, and came across this thread reply from a few years back

https://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/rear-hatch-locking-mechanism/msg1869251/#msg1869251

That post shows the open latch mechanism and says 'there's nothing missing'. You could interpret that as saying there is nothing missing in the mechanism itself, or that there is no cover for that latch release.

Does anyone have a cover for that latch release, and can you post a pic of it? If I can't find one, maybe I can fab one up.

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link...

Interesting, is there any button, or handle that goes on the latch mechanism or were users just expected to slide their hand under the fiberglass cover and push on the plain metal 'loop' as the latch release?

Mitch

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh wait, I had been operating on the assumption that the liftgate could be opened from the inside. Looking closer at those pics and how the latch release works, I guess it probably wasn't ever intended that the liftgate could be opened from the inside huh?

Mitch

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Nah, there never has been an inside release, though it is easy to add one. I do it to all of my Ramchargers when I get one. I typically loop a piece of wire, lately I have been using para cord, around the square bracket that the outside lock pushes on when unlocked. Then I drill a hole in the cover and route the wire or cord through the hole and tie a knot or monkeys fist. That way I have a little pull cord to release the latch from the inside. It's also very handy for when you want to leave the liftgate open for a long time but don't want the interior lights on. Open the liftgate, manually flip the latch to the closed position on the gate and the lights go off. Then I can just pull the cord and release the latch so it will lock when the liftgate is closed.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
{cool}

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.