Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to Do? New crate motor, 318 multi. port fuel injection motor, 3:55 gears, auto trans with shift kit, new converter, new limited slip rear,. What can I do to pep up the 318, besides installing a 440?

·
5,681 Posts
well depends is this daily dirver or a offroad or both. Wjat i can sugest is Rv to mid range cam, full lengh headers, a true dual exhaust system 2 1/2 pipe to bigger. to get a little more off the line but it will take down on hwy cruisin is going to a lower gear. such as 3.73 or 4.10, but this all depends on tires your pushing. (projectPw) built a 318 with about 300hp. but it have 360 heads, 340 intake, 318 block bored 30. and lot of machine work. but i think what i listed above will help out.

G

·
Your 318 Magnum heads already outflow even the vaunted (stock)340X heads, and have a much better flow balance, and besides, they're identical to 360 Magnum heads, so swapping would net nothing.

If you have a single exhaust now, just kick it up to a 3-inch system. It'll flow great, and will retain the stock configuration.

CompCams offers the XR258R, which is a great torque cam that works with your stock electronics and injectors, and also operates in the 700-4800 rpm range. You will need better springs since the cam has .480 lift, and your stockers will not handle this.

Finally, here's a little trick for adding 3-4 degrees of ignition advance without changing your computer, etc.
http://www.krcperformance.net/newcontent/timing.html

None of this will kick it up to 440 range, but it'll help a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will drive this every day, and run 33x11.50 by 15 goodyear MTRs, need a set of 2'" fender flares and what is a good 2" lift kit? Will do the 3" exhaust, sounds good, what about a chip? Sam D.-

G

·
Chip? If you don't mind running premium. I think Jet has a Level 1 chip they claim doesn't need premium, but I'm leery of that.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Skyjacker makes a 2'' kit, but for what you pay for the 2'' kit you might as well pay a few extra bucks and get a 4 inch. You could also do a body lift.

·
Registered
321 Posts
FWIW
I've got 2001 Ram Quad with a 318 - stock it's pretty much a dog.
I've put a fastman 52mm throttle body - big improvement
headers will help with throttle body (i don't have them yet) I also run Flowmaster 40 series and use the Hypertech programmer (small diff for price) should have gotton the Performance computer from Mopar and finally The Air Flow intake did not help - picked up too much heat from engine compartment. I replaced my intake with a custom built setup
totally enclosed and insulated picks up fresh same as stock from fender.

LOL

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm so jealous when you guys say "Install dual exhaust", or "Install a set of headers". Here in Kalifornia, many of these options aren't legal, and when they are legal, odds are your rig will have troubles passing the bi-annual "bend me over the pickel barrel" smog check. My rig has been upgraded to a 3" single exhaust system, but I yearn for dual exhaust. I noticed a very minor improvement with the addition of the 3" system, but I think a nice dual system would be much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts