Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1992 D150 with a 318 and 46RH auto. Approx. 110K miles. I have had this truck for a little over a year. Ever since I bought it the truck has had this odd vibration that you can hear and feel when it shifts into Overdrive at around 45mph. It used to rarely ever do this but now it`s pretty frequent. It seems worse the more throttle you give it (particullarly driving uphill) and it`ll last up to about 50-55mph then dissapears. It has a rythemic on/off feel and feels exactly like driving over rumble strips on the side of the highway. Only does this in Overdrive, you can run it up to the same speeds with the OD off and never feel a thing. The vibration itself isn`t very noticable but it is there and it`s getting worse.

Just wondering if anybody has any explainations is to what this might be? What are some possible cheap fixes I could try?

Anyways, any help appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
turn it off- unplug it- rip the wires out- duct tape over the button / all these symtoms are the signs of the OD getting ready to explode and possibly lockup on the road [ thats what happened to me in my 91 DAK with the same tranny ] from what l found out AFTER my little ride/ the vibe is caused by the OD clutches slipping [clutch chatter] / you have a couple three options # 1 turn it off and never use it again / # 2 pull it apart and rebuild it NOW / # 3 pull it apart and leave all the parts out [ this is what l did - had no choice it was junk] / yes you can do option # 3 because the OD unit is separate from the tranny and worked fine in my truck for 3 years / l sold it and there still driving it

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Also check the trans tailshaft mount, and your U-joints.

I agree it is probably the OD unit heading South though... :(

-SM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, thanks for the replies. Is it possible to just have the OD unit itself rebuilt? How about ordering a new/rebuilt OD unit? I checked the U-joints on the driveshaft itself last night when I was under there changing oil the other day and they look fine, no slop. I will check the rear transmission mounting point though.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Change the fluid in it. Sounds like it has the wrong fluid. The OD transmissions need the fluid changed every 30K or less. Can't really go over that because the fluid burns up. They require ATF +3, NOT dextron III. If dextron III was put in it then thats your shudder problem but it might be to late now. Try a fluid change and see what that does.

G

·
You can rebuild the overdrive, but with the full kit for the entire tranny (clutches, seals, etc) available on eBay for $100-$160 bucks, why not do the whole thing? While you're at it, get a large tranny cooler, and throw in a TransGo kit. The tranny will live a LOT longer the second time around.

G

·
Not disputing that it could be the overdrive death knell, seems like if it was slipping overdrive clutches that much it'd drop out of overdrive from the excessive heat. That is part of the PCM programming. It's supposed to drop out and stay out til a satisfactory operating temp is regained. In that it happens when OD is on, and not when off, I still lean with the rest that it is the OD, PCM programming be damned, but it wouldn't hurt to check that driveshaft for dents or thrown balance weights just in case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts