Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 92/93 tilt column (and pedals) from a manual transmission truck to use on a build.
I know the "square" column is quite a bit different than the older "round" column.
Are there any known issues with the "square" column?
Can the "square" column be bolted into an earlier truck that had the "round" column?
Are any extra pieces required to do so (gauge surround, brackets, etc)?
Is the wiring different between the "round" and "square" columns?

Anything else to know?

Thanks

· Registered
2,612 Posts
wiring is way different from the 91-93 columns and the earlier saginaw columns. Square columns are famous for being easy to hotwire to steal vehicle. Parts not availalbe like round columns

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know the round tilt columns were not available with manual transmissions and the clutch pedal interferes with the starter switch on automatic tilt columns. I have seen the details on the modification of the clutch pedal to work around that interference. Is there any other route to getting a tilt column with a manual trans? Can a 90s GM saginaw column be swapped in or does that have the same issue? Is the square column different to get around it or are the 92/93 pedals different?

Anyone use a universal ididit tilt column to avoid the starter switch interference issue?

Thanks

· Registered
2,612 Posts
how about you tell us what you want to do?

· Administrator
31,939 Posts
For somewhere in the 80's to 93 trucks, it is a bolt in, along with a lot of wiring changes. for 70's trucks,it does not bolt up well where they mount to the dash. Since I lost all my pics, I will have to get some more, but the welded on U-bolt assembly changed, so the later column does not sit all the way into the dash bracket, leaving the top end of the column lower. I have swapped several, but boy is the wiring a hassle. The square column has all the body wires run up to the respective switches, while the older ones have the connectors at the bottom (or floor for high beam, dash for wipers depending on the years), And of course colors do not match up either. You will need wiring diagrams for both for sure. JUst be damm carful the steering wheel is not turned from when it is rremoved until it is ahooked up again, or you can easily destroy the clock spring wires in the column. Thats the only weakness I have encountered.

Parts not availalbe like round columns
Its the other way, most of the parts will swap with the parts well into the 90's and possibly beyond, in Dakotas, pickups, durangos, and vans. I quick trip to a junk yard, and you can have a lifetime of extra switches, but you will likely never need them.

· Registered
2,612 Posts
I agree the columns from 91-02 are found in many vehicles and multifunction switch and ignition switch in column are easy to get aftermarket. But the main shaft bearing top and bottom are not availalble new at all and clocksprings take some talent to find. The saginaw columns being GM can be rebuilt with the exception of the mopar style turn/wiper/LE package stalk, which also takes talent to find.

· Registered
18 Posts
I put a 1992 van tilt column in a 1984 van and there was no way it was a bolt in. I cut the bracket off the 1984 and welded in on the 1992 column. I expect pickups are similar. Chrysler was cheap. Few variations on parts to keep volume up and prices down.

· Administrator
31,939 Posts
96I put a 1992 van tilt column in a 1984 van and there was no way it was a bolt in. I cut the bracket off the 1984 and welded in on the 1992 column. I expect pickups are similar. Chrysler was cheap. Few variations on parts to keep volume up and prices down.
Oh, yea vans seem to have changed every year, on a lot of parts. I picked up a 96, and later a 98 column to put in my 97. Neither one was worth the effort to try to swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts