Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tracking down vacuum leaks and trying to undo strange things the previous owner did in my engine bay. I was looking at the EVAP system, and noticed that the purge solenoid has no vacuum line to the EVAP canister at all, but *does* have a vacuum line that runs off the purge solenoid to the A/C compressor! What the?

Looking at the HVAC vacuum diagrams, I see that one line runs to the water valve on the passenger side, but nowhere do I see a vacuum line at the A/C compressor itself. The A/C clutch is electrically activated, so I'm unsure what the heck this vacuum line at the compressor is for, and where it actually *should* be connected. I can't imagine it's supposed to hook to the purge solenoid vacuum ports.

NOTE: Purge solenoid doesn't have any incoming vacuum connection at all, so this setup *can't* really be doing anything as is.

Mitch

Attachments

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
well thats a new one on me , someone got very creative with plugging vacuum lines , l have the vacuum diagram for you somewere , also it should be right on the under side of your hood

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I checked the vac diagrams for the engine and for the HVAC, read through the A/C section, and didn't see any indication there should be a vacuum actuated *anything* on the A/C compressor.

I'm afraid to disconnect the line to the A/C not knowing what it does or where it should actually get connected to. I guess I can just experiment to see if A/C works with it disconnected.

Mitch

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, with the purge solenoid connected to the canister, and the vacuum line to the A/C just hanging loose, everything still seems to work fine.

I put a hand vacuum pump on the A/C line, and applying vacuum and releasing it seems to do nothing.

I'm stumped.

Mitch

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
I hate when people do this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the A/C section of the FSM, there is a description of a 'test port' in the high-pressure line of the compressor. I'm thinking that may be what the port I highlighted in my attached pic actually is. Not sure though.

Mitch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.