Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
topped off the gas tank last night for the first time since i bought it and it started pissing fuel from on top of the tank. i imagine where the fill tube goes in. it would stop leaking if i parked the truck facing up hill and driver side higher than the passenger side. if i parked the other way it would piss all over. well this aughta be fun.... if any one has any tips it would be great.

thanks
dave

·
Registered
29,317 Posts
drive it till its empty and then drop it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol thanks dodgeboys. i planned on that. just sucks waisting 70 bucks in petrol. i live in hawaii and it would take a while to burn it all up.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
drive it till its empty and then drop it
X2 on that. A 1/2 full one is hard enough to get back in.

Or you could cut a hole in the floor above it for access. ;D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i never thought about that mopar. my neighbor has new welder and i might be able to convince him that it needs broken in. lol. then again i might just turn the hole into an access door. Great idea. thanks.

·
Registered
29,317 Posts
DO NOT use a welder / its a plastic tank / l,ll beable to see the BOMB fire on the east coast

to cut the access hole use a short drill in four corners then l use a jig saw with a short blade

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
DO NOT use a welder / its a plastic tank / l,ll beable to see the BOMB fire on the east coast

to cut the access hole use a short drill in four corners then l use a jig saw with a short blade
What Dean said. :eek: {yes}

Cut some strips and sheet metal screw them and "nailers" then screw the cut piece to them when you are done. It will come in handy for sure with an in tank pump. ;)

·
Registered
904 Posts
hopefully you don't have to do the job in a truck stop parking lot (like I did)  that's the best one I can think of....
other than if u have  ahitch it might get in the way of getting up to the hoses etc; for the 4 bolts it takes it might be an idea to yank the bumper; though being mine is a rust free  Vegas sourced truck that made those ideas easier (I had just had the bumper off the day before and installed the hitch) I did not pull the hitch and bumper, but it woulda been easier had I done so. I still may have to since I get a lil spillage w/a full tank to get at the vent tube (the 3/4" one from the filler neck) and check the clamp there,  (I think that's where my leakage comes from)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whoa!!! every one. i am not talking about cutting a hole in the tank. im talking about cutting it in the body. above the tank. then making an access door to get back to the fuel tank conections latter if i need to. i would never try to weld on plastic. lol. but thank you all for looking out for me.

dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got ya on the four holes then short blade to cut the bed. good idea on the nailers to make the door too. kinda thinking the same thing with any type of sheet metal to attach under the bed then door on a hinge with a latch. im just contemplating on how big do i want to make the door. im thinking no more that 10" or 12" but no less than 6".

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and to help clear this up i still plan on burning up all the gas and then droping the tank. i just realy like the access door idea for latter use.

G

·
No, dont try to weld the floor right above the tank. The hot slag will burn its way through the plastic thus igniting the gas/fumes in the tank. Cutting the hole in the floor is risky enough considering the top of your tank is probably soaked with fuel. Just use common sense and dont blow up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks joe. will do.

88_mopar said:
No, dont try to weld the floor right above the tank. The hot slag will burn its way through the plastic thus igniting the gas/fumes in the tank. Cutting the hole in the floor is risky enough considering the top of your tank is probably soaked with fuel. Just use common sense and dont blow up.
i got ya on the no welding. if where to ever weld there i would drop the gas tank. hince.....
pappy_rc said:
and to help clear this up i still plan on burning up all the gas and then droping the tank. i just realy like the access door idea for latter use.
so the tank wont be there during cuting or welding. but thank you all for comenting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts