Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a decent tailgate on a '91 Ram. Only problem is under the latch/between the taillights is the big "DODGE" molding/trim thing. It is peeling off near the top & just wondered how it's supposed to go on? (Glue/adhesive of some kind??) Or should I just use some small screws??
Never messed w/one of these before...

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
I just looked through my '87 FSM and couldn't find anything on how it is attached. I would guess some type of foam tape as not all RCs had that trim piece. You will probably have to use a flashlight to peek behind the peice and see what is there.

Good luck

Chris

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it's like my '87 RC, there are a bunch of plastic clips that hold it on. These clips can get very fragile & break. If I remember right, you push upward on the bottom of the trim piece then snap the top side off, then push the whole thing down again to totally remove it. Then you can see the plastic clips & if any are broken. hope this helps
Dan

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
If DanCharger is right you might find new clips at "Mr G's". They are an automotive fastner/re-chrome business located in Ft. Worth TX. There is a link to them in the "links" section

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
365 Posts
the truck i got mine off of all the clips where gone and the person had put 2 screws through it it worked for him so i thought it will work for me 1 screw os through the o on dodge and is not noticeable unless you are looking for it and i just used a shiny one on the other side and its not to tacky
works for me
ken

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the tailgate yesterday. The whole gate-to-molding piece is still holding on just fine, but the problem is the real thin part (where the lettering/red part is) is what it coming off. It's difficult to explain, I'll take a pic. of it.
The foam tape sounds like a good idea, maybe I'll try that.
I think it beats my idea...silicone :)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I've tried fixing a couple of those and it never looks right again. I take the red off and just polish it up.

Nice tailgate.

G

·
I had the same thing happen to the one on my '93. Trust me, there is no saving the peeling one. You'll just never get it to look right. I removed the red strip completely, and spray painted it red where the strip had been. I never was completely happy with it ::). I finally ordered a new one from the dealer...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.