Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the opportunity to pick up a short box reg cab 91 for $100.
Front end looks good, doors, fenders, no rust. He just bought it for the grill, which I don’t need.
Would the doors fit my 82 cab? Or would I be better off swapping the whole cab as mines far from perfect? How involved is this??
I wouldn’t mind swapping everything but the box, as a cow rubbed a big dent into it, and I wanna keep my long box.
Figured I could part out what’s left, steak the AC, pretty much get everything I always wanted in mine and have straight doors.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
The doors will bolt on. The only issue, is you need to either swap the latch post, or the latch in the door. 85, or 86, they changed the size of the post, but they will swap right over.

Swapping the whole cab, is not hard, but you need to know how your state deals with the VIN. Most states you are allowed to swap the VIN plate, as long as it is part of a repair, or restoration. If you go that route, take lots of pics, and keep them handy. Down the line, someone may have a hissey fit over something not matching up. The pics can be used to show there was no fraud attempt, but was in fact part of a restoration.

But check with your state first. 

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
SuperBurban said:
But check with your state first.
Definitely check. For my locale, any tampering or re-attachment of the primary VIN makes it garbage, and is illegal. Pics will only incriminate you. So keep your original dash in place (or the door, for a 70's dodge truck)

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Yeah, here that started that "reconstructed vehicle" stuff and you have to have a paper trail for every part you put on it.  The old days of picking up a cheap truck for parts is quickly disappearing. 

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elwenil said:
Yeah, here that started that "reconstructed vehicle" stuff and you have to have a paper trail for every part you put on it. The old days of picking up a cheap truck for parts is quickly disappearing.
The paper trail things prolly not gonna happen for me, as the truck it's coming off of is parked because of title issues.
I just assume it prolly has a lean on it, and the original owner needed crack money.
Hope for the best plan for the worst lol

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Check with your state laws, and even make a few phone calls starting with your local state police office. Many times, it is just documentation that is needed. Pics of the rusted body, a log of parts, A simple handwritten receipt, pics of the work in progress, ect. Years ago, there was a place selling the start shaped rivets. The closer you can restore it to original looking, the less chance of having an issue down the road.  Watch the live PD show, it is common for the police to match the registration & insurance cards with the VIN on the dash.

Pa, I had to submit what I did, with photos, and receipts, and the title. pay the $35, and get back an exact copy of the title, not a restored title like I was thinking. But it is documented with the state that I changed the cab, and moved the original VIN tag, to the new cab. I mainly went that route, because the size of the VIN tag changed between the two cabs, and was quite noticeable that it was changed. I do worry if I get pulled over out here, as I do not know if the information is as easily available to Colorado police.  {noclue}

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll make some phone calls and pay the criminal fees ahead of time.  ;D I looked at the cab again and it’s pretty sharp!
Has everything I need to convert to a serpentine drive, AC, factory bench, no rusty floors, he’ll just too good to be true.
Short box is a gonner but all I want is.. pretty much everything else. The biggest thing though is the doors, as mine I can’t seem to adjust them to close right.  They need a lot of bending to make straight again but I have no idea where they are supposed to be.
Plus the panels and cracked, falling apart, and peeling paint from the PO. will prolly save them to try my hand at fiberglassing some custom ones in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.