Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I need some help with my 89 RC AW150.

I installed a steering column from a 93 d150 and I'm having some trouble finding out how to correct the play in the shaft. The original column was completely shot so this better but the truck still wanders when driving.

I have replaced every steering component to include rebuilding the front differential. The truck has about a 2.5 inch lift with a steering knuckle spacer. Hopefully someone here can provide insight on how to fix it.

Bear with me, this is the first time I have ever made a gif.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
there's bearings inside the column

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
  Try a search on line or Youtube.  There was a problem with those columns even with good bearings that people have fixed with a piece of maybe pvc pipe? Those bearings do look bad and if you can find replacements then both can be fixed at the same time while it's apart.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Worn column bearings tend not to cause steering wander.

Check the lower steering shaft; pitman arm spline; steering box sector shaft; also the drag link joints.

Also ensure you have enough caster angle to make the truck 'want' to drive straight without driver input.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed a reman steering gear box, new drag link, new ball joints, and new tie rods. I'm going to have a look again, but i have not had a lot of luck searching for info on this steering column. Does anyone know the specific name of this style column?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Its made by Accustar and same design was used til 98 at least. So lots of JY parts, but no new stuff other than switches. There is one guy making a lower bearing but he labels it as for 94-98 columns
http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

This column is not like the earlier Saginaw columns which can be rebuilt a million times. Good example of planned obsolescence or failure

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I emailed those rock solid guys to see if their product is compatible with my column and have had no reply. I'm not sure if they are still in business.

If I had known this, I would have rebuilt my original column.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.