Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 90' RC 4x4 auto with a 5.9. I noticed the other weekend when I took it out on the interstate that the she started to run warmer then normal. When I got her home I threw in a 180 t-stat and did a full flush on the system. Took her back out and it did the same thing. When driving in town she runs right where it should. The only difference in town and out is that I use overdrive when on the interstate. The only other thing I can think of is that my water pump is getting weak. ANy ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
im assumin you are runnin a straight 50/50 water/antifreeze mix, and if so, then your pump could be wearin out, or check and make sure your cooling fan is workin properly, like the belt aint slippin or nuthin....

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
right off the top of my head i would say

1. clutch in fan is going out if it is clutch style
2. belt slipping
3. pump going bad
4. radiator cap

eric

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I am running 50/50 mixture and my belts are tight. It is a fan with a clutch, how do you check it out to make sure it's good?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
moparye said:
Ya, I am running 50/50 mixture and my belts are tight. It is a fan with a clutch, how do you check it out to make sure it's good?
well there a couple of different ways.

1. you can grab the fan (with engine not running ;D) and see if you can wiggle it back and forth on the shaft
2. warm the truck up to operating temp and then shut it off and try and spin the fan, there should be a decent amount of resistance on it, if it just spins freely, it is going bad
3.please use this one last, buy a new one and see if it solves problem

those are about the only ways i know of, i am sure someone else may be able to add more

eric

·
Registered
299 Posts
With a '90 you prob have tbi. Seems it heats up with additional load and rpm. You might look at your fuel system.. With the load you described you will need a little richer air fuel ratio.. If the injectors are marginally restricted, or if the fuel system is impeded (ie: dirty fuel filter) you could experience just enough fuel starvation to develop a 'lean' condition which will cause an increase in heat generated.
Try injector cleaner. Hook a fuel pressure gauge up and watch it under load. The fuel pressure should rise from idle up to about 15 psi. you might need to replace the fuel filter (under driver bolted to frame rail) When I needed a quickie fuel pressure gauge, I used a lo-buck oil pressure gauge. Of course don't permanently install this in cab because a line leak would bring pressurized fuel into the cab (not good!).

Hope this helps a little.

Good Luck!
Bruce

·
7,995 Posts
Good chance your radiator is tired. You could have is boiled out and rodded at a shop or replace it. Check your timing. As Bruce said above try running a can of Seafoam(injector cleaner) through the fuel system. Normally the fan clutch will not kick in while you are cruising on the highway. Upper and lower hoses in good shape?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, all my hoses look good. Good idea with the fuel system/pressure. I never thought of that. I put new injectors in it about a year ago. I'll rip em out and see how they look and see what their spray pattern is. Thanks alot guys!!!

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
My brother went through this. Like Eric said, i'd check the fan (it's cheaper than boiling a radiator or working the injectors). Warm the truck up and have someone shut it off while you're watching the fan. If it keeps spinning more than a few rotations, I'm betting your fan clutch is out. My brother just replaced his clutch style fan with a flex style. It sounds funny to me, but he likes the look and it seems to have solved his cooling problem...

derek

1 - 9 of 9 Posts