Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
62,354 Posts
Tell them it is for a 360 Magnum, the balance is not the same as the old LA360.

Reactions: JoeRudi15

·
Registered
1978 W150 Club Cab long box Adventurer, now magnum swapped.
103 Posts
I thought you already bought a weighted magnum 360 flex plate? If so you just need a neutral balanced converter which should be no issue. You had a 318 to begin with so the one you have is already neutral balanced. If you need to order a new one, just make sure it is neutral balanced as well.

I don't believe the external balance requirements changed from early to late magnum 360s, just the method.
You can use the correctly weighted flexplate with a neutral balanced converter (sounds like you are close to this already) or a neutral flexplate and the properly balanced converter for a magnum 360.

You would not want to use a non magnum 360 converter as that would be balanced for a non magnum 360.... You can always pay to have someone custom balance things for you, but you shouldn't need to. There are plenty of stock options to go with.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,625 Posts
Its true, the method only changed in the later years and its true about the neutral balance converter and weighted flexplate. I said earlier that all he needs is that B&M flexplate and his converter from his 318 but i did mention that he can take whatever converter and whatever flexplate he has to a tranny shop or a custom converter shop and they can balance them for what he needs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
^^^^ thanks for the help. Mechanic ended up getting a different flex plate and TQ.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Could it have been done with less expense? Probably. But I'll rely on his experience.

Jungle's fuel tank was installed recently. This truck could rot to the ground and that tank will still be there. Several people have seen the tank and asked "does he make them for Mustang's?" or some other car.

Car Hood Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting

Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

A rare car and short production run GM in the background. Any guesses?

·
Registered
1978 W150 Club Cab long box Adventurer, now magnum swapped.
103 Posts
Cosworth? That would be rare. Though I guess rust and poor build quality have made them all a bit rare at this point. I am not sure I have seen one on the road since the 80s.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Question? Will the 90 318 LA exhaust manifolds direct fit to a 93 360 mag block?
Research here says: yes (from older posts) just double checking.
Headers seemed like a real PITA for the 4WD RC. A good bit of phone calls and internet searches came up with zero quality headers that fit. Except maybe some shorties. Then the advantages are negligible for a system that needs cats to be legal.

The exhaust will be switched to dual with catalytic and (Magnaflow) muffler.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,625 Posts
Yes, all LA exhaust manifolds will work on all Magnum engines and vice versa - same goes for headers. The Magnum manifolds flow better than the LA manifolds FYI. The best full length headers for the trucks are Hooker headers. TTI makes the best of the best but I'm not sure if TTI makes anything for the trucks as they mostly do cars.

Reactions: JoeRudi15

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks CCB. After reading a bunch of posts here, the magnum manifolds with dual seemed like my preferred option. But I let myself get walked down the proverbial garden path and into a header search. Called TTI, nice rep directed me to one of their dealers cause he couldn't answer. Speed shop in PA said the TTI 340W2 fit a 2wd truck but had not used any of 4wd, so wasn't positive. So I got in a rush and bought some Pacesetters that did not fit. Bad idea. Regret not letting the man in PA help me out more, he offered to review pics of the RC in order to determine fit.

I hate to say it, but I did what I can't stand when others do. Got solid advice, (TTI or mag manifolds) and went another direction. And paid a penalty.

·
Super Moderator
6,625 Posts
Bring your mortgage broker if you plan to buy TTI headers as you're gonna need him. TTI headers are PRICEY.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where were you able to find those valve covers ? Can't find the Mopar magnum labeled ones anywhere

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks. Yeah seems to be the case. I looked them up and it seems like they don't have anymore.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Those covers probably show up randomly on eBay. I did an occasional search over 6-8 months time and saw them twice. $300.
I also bought the similar ones for an LA sb. Maybe those covers show up at swap meets or Chrysler at Carlisle, PA.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Some advice/help needed with finding mandrel pre-bent exhaust, 4WD. That the right terminology?

Hopefully dual. Would settle for single at this point. I wanted to get away from the exhaust running under transmission pan too. Thinking aluminized is fine, stainless better (doubt this RC sees any salted roads). Mechanic pushed headers headers headers, I pushed back, no. no, no. But I have yet to find a ceramic coated header, with minimum 3/8" flange that fits a 4WD RC (maybe the TTI W2-340 headers). Don't want to waste time and $ on mild steel, wimpy flanges.

Seems like most here would agree the mag manifolds are fine for a mild street type build. That makes sense to me. If it becomes single exhaust, are larger 3" main with dual muffler 2-1/2 inlet or exhaust worthwhile? My guess is, yes. Is the Y-pipe non-existent out there? Any advice on parts or pieces appreciated. I'd just as soon have Walker Quiet-flow or Magna flow muffler and will be putting cat converter on too. Does anyone here know of a good exhaust design?

Mechanic knows of exhaust shop that can mandrel bend but asked me if I could find a pre-bent exhaust. I think part of his reasoning for pre-bent is getting it on and truck out the door; without having to drive it to an exhaust place. And not that he can't weld exhausts up, he'd rather not because of the time and appearance of it the cut and weld process. As I write that previous sentence, cut and weld doesn't really bother me at all. Should it?

/s/ greenhorn

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
And the exhaust process went sideways when I bought Pacesetter headers that don't fit. The LA 318 manifolds went on. Manifolds cleaned up super nice though. At this point I doubt I backtrack on that. (those windshield wipers are ugly)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Rim

Anyone need some Pacesetters for a SBC 1994+? Ceramic, long tube. Cheap.
That rad cap sits proud (high). ???

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,625 Posts
21 - 40 of 49 Posts