Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclosure:
(this swap is too steep a learning curve for me to accomplish, not to mention the space, lift and tools needed. But maintaining and fixing minor problems going forward)
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

After I bought this 90 RC 318 I came across this site. Reading the Magnum swap by pc1P got me researching and asking questions. Read just about everything related on here, and followed some great links, had some questions answered by members. Thanks.

Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Out with the old 318

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Remanufactured 97 5.9 I did buy some EQ heads but did not get added here. Saving for them for my 93 W150 5.2

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Took awhile to locate an Edelbrock intake in stock. The Kevko oil pan is a well made 6 qt. pan.

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Tread

Front drives and brackets off a junker 93 5.2 I have. Advice on parts that what would work and what wouldn't from RCC. Bouchillion Performance had one remaining dampener that I snagged.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Hood

This will push RC down the road better than the LA 318

·
Super Moderator
14,380 Posts
Nice!! What's the car ahead of it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great post, I’m getting ready to do this swap also. Can you post a pic of the water thermostat housing behind the ac compressor & alternator; it doesn’t look like there is much room for the hose.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,604 Posts
Great post, I’m getting ready to do this swap also. Can you post a pic of the water thermostat housing behind the ac compressor & alternator; it doesn’t look like there is much room for the hose.
Search this site - there are plenty of threads and pictures on Magnum swaps. Check it out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you post a pic of the water thermostat housing behind the ac compressor & alternator
I would or will, but the shop is 300 miles away. CCB is right. Plenty of intel on this site for Magnum 5.9 swap.

Not sure what year that Falcon is. I was more interested in the glass top Crown Vic (tail light in the corner of picture).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well if there is another thread, with pictures of the thermostat housing on that manifold, behind the alt/ac set up I would be very surprised. It is really the only info I need. No worries.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,604 Posts
Well if there is another thread, with pictures of the thermostat housing on that manifold, behind the alt/ac set up I would be very surprised. It is really the only info I need. No worries.
Read my Magnum swap tread, i have pictures of that area and what i did about it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The current problem is finding the correct flex plate for the 5.9 to 518 trans. Help??
Got differing information on the 5.9 block year. Apparently the block is a 1993.

·
Super Moderator
6,604 Posts
Do you not have the Magnum flexplate? It should work with the 518 but if not, have you looked at B&M? I cant see why this wouldn't work. It says up to '92 but i have the B&M in my '96 Magnum and its fine but i did have my new torque converter balanced with my B&M plate but still, i think it should work unless the 518 uses a different style converter but I'm pretty sure its the same as a 727 converter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks CCB. Thinking you nailed it with, "I had my torque converter balanced with the flex plate". I thought it was as simple as getting a weighted flex plate.
Long story:
Months ago I bought a weighted magnum flex plate from Scram Speed (mainly because they are a small operation, and sponsor the magnum swap site) and they steered me right. My foggy recall was B&M plates were out of stock in all places I searched back then.
flexplate

It is my lack of understanding of how the swap all ties together and what a converter and flex plate do. So unknown to me, it appears I have a converter that isn't balanced for the 5.9. And this is typical stumbling block of someone (me) who has limited experience in the mechanic trades. I did my research, primarily beginning here at RCC and magnum swap.com
pc1P's thread went into some detail on the RH46 518's overdrive being electric switched and all but I still don't grasp the whole process. But the mechanic will get it straight.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle brake

I copied this from magnum swap.com in case it's useful for other greenhorns like me:

LA 318s and steel crank 340s, and 5.2 Magnums are neutral-balanced, so there are no weights on either the flexplate or the converter. Conversely, externally balanced Chrysler small blocks have one of two arrangements. Either the flexplate has counterweights and the converter is “neutral” balanced, or the converter carries counterweights and the flexplate is neutral-balanced.
The 5.9 Magnum uses a weighted flexplate and a neutral-balanced converter from the factory. To make life simple, be sure to get the flexplate with your engine. With the weighted flexplate, simply use a neutral balanced converter, these are readily available for most transmissions. We recommend this method.

·
Super Moderator
29,770 Posts
SOME Magnum 360s use the weighted flexplate, others use a neutral flexplate and a balanced converter. Only 1996 and up 360s use the weighted flexplate. '92-'95 use a neutral balance flexplate and a weighted converter.

Reactions: SuperBurban

·
Super Moderator
6,604 Posts
Do you have a transmission shop or a machine shop in your town that can balance your flexplate and converter? Here in town we have a shop that builds torque converters and when i swapped out my 318 for my '96 360 Magnum I bought the B&M 360 flexplate and gave him my 318 converter and he made the two work together.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, there are trans and machine shops. Mechanic chose buying a new converter and I'm okay with that.
Although, your method is practical and sensible. Been re-reading your swap thread, there isn't much you can't do to your truck. Nice work.

·
Super Moderator
6,604 Posts
Go to the tranny shop and give them your t/c and flex plate and they can make what you got work. Just tell them its for a 360 and they will balance it. Or get the stronger B&M flexplate and give it, and your converter, to the shop to balance. And thank you for the compliment. I could have done a better job and taken more pictures and been a little more explanatory but I'm not the greatest at this computer stuff or explaining things. Lol

1 - 20 of 49 Posts