Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready for the summer 4x4ing and am starting to look for extra parts to have as quick swaps.  I am looking for a rear end most of all as mine makes some noise. My ? is what all vehicles have the direct bolt in 9.25 rear ends for my 84 ramcharger?    And will a 1991 NP 241 bolt up to my truck?

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
If you are talking about the 84 in your name yes the 241 will bolt up.

Any Dodge with a 9 1/4 will bolt right in your RC. MAKE SURE you check the gear ratio.  ;)

You can even bolt up an 8 1/4 axle to your RC if need be, but they are weaker than the 9 1/4.

A Dodge D60-70 will bolt right up also but then you will have different bolt patterns and U-joint mismatch.  ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dana 60's are on the wish list!  but for the summer I just want a spare TC and axle.  It is a project in the making.  I am running 35/15.5/15 Ground Hawgs on it and those like to break things on half ton rigs.

Hopefully going to have a new job at GM, so maybe my wish list will become a real parts list soon! 

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
84 ramchargerjosh said:
Dana 60's are on the wish list! but for the summer I just want a spare TC and axle. It is a project in the making. I am running 35/15.5/15 Ground Hawgs on it and those like to break things on half ton rigs.

Hopefully going to have a new job at GM, so maybe my wish list will become a real parts list soon!
I have had 35's on my trail rig with a 360 and 3:55 gears running a D444 and a 9 1/4 and haven't broken anything yet. ;)

I'm putting 38's on it this year. ;D

I have a pair of D60's to put in when I have the money for new wheels and tires. :-\

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some trucks seem to break things and some dont.  I had a chevy that broke axle stuff almost every time i took it out 4x4ing, then i had a bronco with D44 and a 9" with a 460 and 40's and never broke a thing accept the occasional u-joint.

Never owned a dodge before, but so far I like it! 
I have put a summit cam, 340 4 bbl intake, headers, hooker exhaust system from summit, put the 35's on and replaced all u-joints so far.  Sounds GREAT!!!  waiting on lokar kickdown and throttle cable to be able to drive it again.

G

·
mopar65pa said:
Any Dodge with a 9 1/4 will bolt right in your RC. MAKE SURE you check the gear ratio. ;)
As long as they're from a 80-93 truck or RC. ;)
You could use a pre 80 unit but it will have the smaller bolt pattern so you'll either have to swap axle shafts and drums to the big bolt pattern or carry two spare tires.
And like Tony said, make sure the gear ratios are the same, or else you'll be using that spare transfer case alot sooner than you thought.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I found that a differential from a 1990 (with anti-lock brakes) would not fit into my 82 axle housing.  I would have swapped the whole axle but for the gear ratios.  I should have swapped the whole thing.

Speaking of some trucks... On one truck I had I destroyed the Ferd 9" twice.  So far, only thing I have really destroyed on the RC is the transfer case that I dropped on a rock (with the truck on top of it),

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
88_mopar said:
As long as they're from a 80-93 truck or RC. ;)
Thanks I forgot to mention that. ;D

workgoats said:
So far, only thing I have really destroyed on the RC is the transfer case that I dropped on a rock (with the truck on top of it),
LOL......... ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Rear Axles:

'72-'74 8 3/4" 1/2 ton axles will bolt in, same 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern.

'75-'79 8 1/4"(8 3/8") and 9 1/4" 1/2 ton axles will bolt in, but have a smaller 5 on 4.5" pattern.

'80-'93 8 1/4"(8 3/8") and 9 1/4" 1/2 ton axles will bolt in, same 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern.

'72-'93 9 1/4"HD, D60 and D70 axles will bolt in but will have the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern and some use 5/8" wheel lugs instead of the normal 1/2".  Also some rears will be either a dually pickup width or dually chassis cab width that will not match the track width of a single rear wheel truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.