Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if 9 1/4" axle shafts are interchangeable between the different years?

I'm asking because I need to convert the rear axle wheel stud pattern from the 5 on 4.5 to the 5 on 5.5 in order to match my front end and complete 9 1/4's are pretty expensive here, and I don't want to use wheel adapters.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
somewhere around the mid 80s something involving the c clips changed, but i cant remember what it was, or exactly when. other than that, im pretty sure they will swap.

Duane

G

·
Yes the axles shafts will swap. With one caveat take the spider gears and c clips with the axle shafts because there are different thicknesses from year to year. You will also need the brakes as well because the larger bolt pattern drum is 11" and the small bolt pattern drum is 10" that includes the backing plates and hardware. the E brake cables and wheel cylinders are ok to keep.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes, I did this already.The only thing I found different was the grooves for the keepers were thicker on the older ones.I had to mill my c-clips down to fit the 5on5.5 axles.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maverick148 said:
Yes, I did this already.The only thing I found different was the grooves for the keepers were thicker on the older ones.I had to mill my c-clips down to fit the 5on5.5 axles.
Thanks Maverick, that is the kind of answer I was looking for. I have a couple other questions for you:

1) If you bought the replacement axles new, what size or what part #?
2) If you got them from a different truck, what year?
3) Other than the axles and brake rotors, where there any other parts you had to modify or replace like someone else had said?

Thank you all for your input on this one.
Bob

·
Registered
509 Posts
Bought them from a wrecking yard,anything with a 5on5.5 bolt pattern with a 9 1/4 rear.Just check where the inner seal rides and make sure they are not grooved(from the seal).Mine came out of a 85'. My 76' already had 11" brakes so I ordered rear drums for a 93'D150 ( they were the same).I think I paid 50.00 a piece at Autozone.They work fine. Wrecking yards are full of these axles,but the drums are scarce,and pricey.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
gmule said:
Yes the axles shafts will swap. With one caveat take the spider gears and c clips with the axle shafts because there are different thicknesses from year to year. You will also need the brakes as well because the larger bolt pattern drum is 11" and the small bolt pattern drum is 10" that includes the backing plates and hardware. the E brake cables and wheel cylinders are ok to keep.
the 79 axle i put in my ramcharger also had the 11" drums on it

eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.