Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of you know where i can find a 9 1/4 rear end cover online??? i put a crappy chrome one on mine and am sick of it leaking. i cant find my old one and none of the junk yards around here have any.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I seen one on ebay last night...I'll try to find the link

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I got a chrome one on mine, and it has yet to leak...been on for over 10 yrs. I dented the stock one pretty good backing up into a stump. It had ring gear marks in it. lol

I went with chrome cuz at the time, it was cheaper than a painted one from Mopar (the chrome one is from mopar too).

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Did you use any kind of silicon or sealant for it?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I once took a chrome timing cover from a Chevy and used a 3M gasket remover disc on it with my die grinder. Took it down to bare metal on the gasket surface. It no longer pushed the gasket out like the chrome likes to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
gasket? what the hell is a gasket?

that's what RTV is for.

I use The Right Stuff for everything, and nothing ever leaks (thermostat housings, water pumps, diff covers, trans pans, transfer case assembly, etc. I never use gaskets anymore). It's expensive, but not having to wait for it to cure is awesome, and self-dispensing rules.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Caulk it!

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Try Mopar Performance. The chrome ones are thicker then the other companies. If you use a gasket, don't over tighten it.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I have used gaskets and rtv only. I usually use the black rtv on diff covers, but here lately I have started using only the grey stuff, it seems to work better.

I do get all the gasket stuff off, CXlean it with brake cleaner, and make sure the surfaces are flat, even if I have to file them. Then I put on a thin layer of rtv, and bolt it on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts