Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know you guys can help me i have a 1989 r/c 1500 318ci 2wd automatic after driving about 30 -min it dies but if you leave it for a few hours it starts right up i have replaced the computer with a used one recently and im still stumped

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
sounds like you definately have an overheating electronic component. what i would look at first is when it wont start see if the injectors are spraying fuel into the throttle body. if it is then check to see if your getting spark out of the coil. that is the first thing to see, if your not getting fuel out and you do have spark i would be looking at fuel pump pressure. if you have fuel and no spark i would lean towards the coil as if the injectors fire it would say you have cam sensor signal to trigger the coil. if no on both i would look at fuel pressure as if there is none i would look at the autoshutdown relay to see if it is clicking to power the pump,injector supply current, and coil. see first if you have spark and fuel or lack of and report back, we can help you better at that point.

jamie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when it did it last i sprayed starting fluid down it and it started then stalled so i believe it is shutting down the fuel supply

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
if that is the case i would be looking at the fuel pump closely. 2wd rcs have a tendency for the connector on top of the tank that supply voltage to the pump to get loose as a result of body bushing wear over time. might look at that. or it may be the pump itself giving you fits. might check for power and grounds at the pump during the no start condition.

jamie

·
7,995 Posts
I agree with MrPeal, have you pulled error codes yet of the computer? The problem could also be a heat sensitive pick-up asm in the distributor? :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
My fuel pump did a similar thing with me ('90 rc). It would run and later not. then start again later. replacing the pump did it for me.

Good Luck!

Bruce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts