Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 RC with the 318 TBI and I am trying to locate any performance parts for this. I called Edelbrock and they said the heads are different so I cant use there performer intake and that they dont have a performance cam available yet. I have dueled out the truck with 2 1/2 exhaust and a crossover but it seems like it needs something else. It runs real good but just doesnt seem to have the power that I am looking for to tow with. Does any body have any sugestions on what to do. I was wanting to put a intake, cam and electronic ignition and go to a carb set up for the time being, or is there anything out there to use the existing TBI??? I have talked to a trans shop so I figured out that I can put switches on the lockup converter and the OD so I am not to worried about loosing the computer so any sugestions would be great.

G

·
You only need one switch for the tranny overdrive. The converter locks up after the OD kicks in, both are energized with the same line, but I thought the early O/D RC's had a non-lockup '518. Unless you go with 360 TBI and computer, there's not a lot to do. The Edelbrock Performer will bolt right onto the LA 318. Sounds like the Edelbrock tech you talked to was thinking about the Magnum engines. CompCams has an "OEM replacement roller cam" that will work with all your stock TBI/computer/etc, but you will need the suggested springs to handle the higher lift. (They also offer two hotter cams if you add computer mods). A bit better low end, lots better on top with the base cam. If you want more cam, Mopar's own RV grinds are great for torque. Again, the Performer intake and the AFB or Thunder Series carbs from Edelbrock will work great. Mopar's electronic ignition package will go right in place of your current system, and is rock solid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts