Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a backfiring on a engine with 220,000 miles on it.It progressively got worse on a 1500 mile trip.After stopping for gas it was harder then normal to start.Can you check timing chain stretch by spinning crank shaft with a wrench while someone watches distributor rotor.I will do a compression test tomorrow as well.No check engine codes are coming up and timing of distributor is set to just before pinging. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add that once you get going at normal speeds it seems to run perfect, but when giving it the gas it has no power.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Sounds to me like ou need to replace your fuel filter. If that doesn't fix it, check the pump and filter in the tank. I had those similar symptoms with my 88 318. Once in a while it would gimme a code that said fuel pressure not high enough or something like that. Anyway I messed with it for a coupla months before I figured out it was the fuel pump.

·
7,995 Posts
Ram 1988 said:
I am getting a backfiring on a engine with 220,000 miles on it.It progressively got worse on a 1500 mile trip.After stopping for gas it was harder then normal to start.Can you check timing chain stretch by spinning crank shaft with a wrench while someone watches distributor rotor.I will do a compression test tomorrow as well.No check engine codes are coming up and timing of distributor is set to just before pinging. Any suggestions?
Sounds like a timing chain and gears. Take a look at this link for checking the stretch. Replace it with a double roller chain and gears. May also want to pull the crankcase down and check for debris in the bottom of the pan and the oil pickup screen. Might check compression before you replace the chain, with 220K you may be in need of a complete engine rebuild?

www.misterfixit.com/chanslop.htm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel pump, fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator and new spark plugs changed not sure which it was but it runs great. Thanks for suggestions.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
that many miles, it mighta been a combination, but my money woulda been on the filter....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts