Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the story. I recently installed a set of hooker headers on my 89 ramcharger (318) It all went well and once we had it done we fired the truck up , loaded it on the trailor and towed it to the exhaust shop to have pipes bent and the flowmasters and free flow cats all wealded in. Well 2 days later i get a call from the shop telling me that the pipes are installed and sound great. Then they tell me that they had a problem the truck (so they claim) just turned its self off in the lot right after they backed off the lift and would not start back up. Well long story short i took the truck back via trailor and it now sits in my driveway dead as a door nail. Something is wrong electrically, it seems no power is getting to the computer. The fule pump does not run, the throttle advancer does not move, the fule injectors dont fire, and the 3 key turn trick dosnt make the check engine light blink. So everything controlled by the computer is non functional.

The question is what would be most likely causes be? I've already checked the battery connections , the fuses and swapped out the computer its self without any luck. Also the exhaust shop said that they checked the auto shut down relay but i cant really trust that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Still could be the ASD relay, on the driver's side firewall.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

A bad relay should set a Code 42 if its bad.

Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Check yer fusible links. They are on the driver's inner fender. There's one there that controls all those functions. Just 'cause it's not burned in two doesn't mean it's not bad. The guilty one will feel stretchy. Had this exact prob with my 88 recently and that was what was wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
::) ::) if it ran ok until the ex . was on and the pipes were instaled .. could the heat have melted a wire coating and shorted out???

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok now i'm really stumped!!!
I just checked:

The Fuses all are good

The fusable links on the drivers side fender there good

The asd relay its good

All the wires near the headers and exhaust nothing bad there

The battery is new and fully charged and cranks the motor over real fast

The computer is new

what does that leave besides a broken wire in the like fifty million miles of them somewhere on the truck ???

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is there a fuse on your ECU? My RC isnt run with a comp, but my old pathfinder had a fuse right on the ECU itself. Could it be your ignition switch? Maybe the the inside of your posative cable to your battery is corroded. Also make sure all of your grounds are intact....incuding the battery ground.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yup the hazards work also the grounds are all good nice thick ass 4 gaure no fuse on ecu its self i'm stumped i guess it could be the colunm but i doubt it keep in mind it worked fine for years and all of a sudden stopped running after exhaust inst

·
Registered
310 Posts
the exhaust install..I dont see how could have anything to do with it, did you check all the fusible links for continuity? Cause I had the same prob and it was a link.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Ok, I hope you have a meter with a nice sharp set of probes, becuase now you'll have to do some digging. I didn't even see in your first post that the check engine light won't even flash codes...

The 3 wires that could be the culprit are highlighted. J1, which is a red wire, is the main battery feed, and goes to cavity 41 on the computer connector. Either use a piercing probe into the wire, or backprobe the connector cavity with a paperclip. It should always have +12v. If not, check for +12v at the fuse link, to try to isolate where the break in the circuit is.

K5 is the ground. Black wire with white tracer, cavity 5 ont he computer connector. Again, either pierce the wire or backprobe to check for ground.

K14 is the ignition feed. Dark blue wire with black tracer, cavity 12. It should have +12 when the key is in RUN. If not, suspect a bad ignition switch, or broken ignition switch feed wire (J2 - dark blue wire) or blown fuse link.

Good luck,
Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
that happened on my rc, could it be your voltage regulator? mine died on me while i was driving down the road! and wouldnt start back up..that sonofabeach

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would think that its got to be something that happened during the exhaust install, if not then you got some kind of bad luck. I would double check all the wires around where the exhaust was installed, especially if one of the wires that TaZMaNiaK showed was involved. Man I hate electrical gremlins, Good Luck

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
1979seattleRC said:
that happened on my rc, could it be your voltage regulator? mine died on me while i was driving down the road! and wouldnt start back up..that sonofabeach
Voltage regulator on the '88+ is built into the computer.. I think in your situation, the VR kept the alternator from putting anything out, and it ran off the battery until the voltage went too low for the ignition system to fire. He's using a fresh battery, which has plenty of juice to crank the engine, which means there's enough to power up the computer. The VR doesn't come into play here.

Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
alright then, sorry for the misleading info. i just know the older precomputer rigs haha

1 - 20 of 58 Posts