Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You don't want it all the way up silly.. as for temp.. that'll depend on preferences.. If you're in a cold climate and want good heat.. or lower emmissions use a 195, There are also 180and 160 deg avail.. I've got a 160 in my Dakota and a 180 in my RC. Since you have a new radiator, and probably have to take an emmissions test with it, you may want to put a 195 in it.1/4 sounds like its a 180, on my Dakota it barely reaches the next line after cold.. but it's not overheating..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I guess you guys are in a warm climate all or most of the time so you may like the 160 if you dont need the heat,but I have found 318's to run slightly on the cold side and have had better results with 180-190 deg theremo's,just like awyseguy said you might like the hotter ones if you need to go up against the emissions test.Just my two cents good luck

Mike.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
in western washington, which is usually rainy and not very hot, a 180 works good in the winter and a 160 in the summer.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I used to have a 160 in my 90, but switched it out to 195 cause the computer was not happy. It would often times give me codes that the engine was staying to cold for to long, especially during the winter (and i'm in deep south texas where a cold day is 45 degrees). it's not so bad in the summer (maybe 100 degrees) but the computer is happier now and doesn't cause the rich condition it had (which would end up fouling the plugs).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah there are alot of new and older 90's and up vehicles that need a computer adjustment with the scan tool to adjust the magic 14:1 air fuel ratio to work well at higher or lower tempuratures,and when I was an apprentice I rember changing the thermostat on a nissan car to a hotter value at the customers request and to my horror the car wouldnt run at tempurature.Computers are a great tool for making the cars and trucks of today work well but they can sure be a real pain in the ass for changing simple things like the thermostat just so you can have some nice heat in the winter what are they thinking eh? lol

Mike.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine has a 195, and seems fine also in South TX. Never overheats, even after extended idling in the driveway.,,,,Cruisin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.