Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got an 89 rc. it has the 85mph mechanical speedo. the problem is that it doesnt move when i drive. the odometer still works just fine but the speedo needle doesnt move. im figuring its something that i did. when i tried doing a white face gauge swap i had to take that needle off, they are really brittle and it broke. i super glued it back on tho. does this seem like i just got a lil too much and its holding the needle from moving?
on another note: if i just got a new speedo from a donor truck, how would i go about either zeroing out the odometer on that or changing it to be what the mileage on mine says. because i wither want to start it at zero or from what mine says, not whatever miles the truck i parted out had on it. and i know this prolly isnt legal but i dont care because im mileage exempt in this state because of the age of the truck. its older than 10 years old so its exempt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ignore it. Mine hasn't worked in years (speedometer that is). In fact the only gauge that works and is worth trusting is the temp gauge. Oil P works enough to tell me it still has some. Try rolling the odometer numbers in your old one and if it still works after that roll the new ones to your magic number. They might click a little but all the odometers I've rolled still work afterwards.

·
Registered
30,032 Posts
if yer gonna roll a new one back be very careful because the paint on the numbers brushes right off / its not permanent paint

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
You can also use a dremel (or other high rpm device) to just turn the odometer where the speedo cable connects. It will take a little while, but no disassembly of the gauge cluster required :)

-SM

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
You can also use a dremel (or other high rpm device) to just turn the odometer where the speedo cable connects. It will take a little while, but no disassembly of the gauge cluster required :)

-SM
be careful doing that. i stripped the gears right off the plastic cog with a little too much RPM.

the right track though. unless you want to dissasemble the odo/speedo

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got the needle to move, but at about 25-30 its saying like 55-75 and is very eratic. its gonna just get replaced with some autometer ones eventually.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i wouldnt use the dremel, to may rpm's. if i were going to do it i would hook it to a drill, 1500-2500 rpms is closer to what it is designed to run at. like they said this will take awhile.

might mount the drill in a vice, hook it up to speedo and lock it on, then oyu can go do things and come back at your convenience.

eric

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but youll be a lil pissed if it went a little too far....lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts