Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as you guys know I have been having issues with my 89 RC 318 TBI anyhow over the weekend I did a complete tune up on her new plugs,dis cap rotor, fliuld change I also rebuilt the throttle body with a new map sensor, and gaskets and completely clean it now when I try to start it the truck turns over but wont fire up when I try to start it makes a puff and spits out smoke out of the throttle body any advice on what is up with this truck

G

·
Confirm plug wire order. Did you remove distributor? Could be 180 out. If correct on distributor, maybe just too far advanced or retarded. Play around a bit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys I will double check my fuel lines and accordding to the picture I received the plug wires are correct but I will mess with the timing a little what is a good way to adjust the timing not to hot on that subject

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Did you remove the distributor or loosen it any way?  If not then DO NOT start messing with your timing, unless the dist has moved there is no way for it change based on the work you did.

Need more info on your plug wires.  they may be in the correct firing order but also may be shifted one pole left or right on the dist cap.  Your motor needs to be put at TDC for the #1 cylinder then take the dist cap off, the rotor should be pointing at the #1 cylinder then recheck your plug wires accordingly.

Now if you did move the dist or remove it from the block, try replacing it 180 from where it is now.  If that doesn't help you are back to having to re time it via the TDC method.

On your TBI timing should be adjusted with the engine warmed up and the coolant temp sensor unplugged.  You can get close enough to get it running by using the TDC method anything after that will be guess work.

Check to make sure everything is plugged back in (wires and vacuum lines)

I'm still voting for mis routed plug wires though

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I checked the fuel lines they are correct all wires are plugged in the correct spots I took the distributor off I am going to mess with it to see what happens will let you guys know whats up thanks agin

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I checked my fuel lines they are right I also set the the timing by the book checked my plug wires now when I try to start her she turns over then back fires out of the throttle body shot a nice flame out still is making the puffing noise out of the throttle body I set the timing useing the notch on the dampener that goes all the way across I set it at TDC then hooked all my wires up my rotor was pointing almost stright center on the Throttle body any ideas

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just replaced all my plug wire's with new one's and put a new coil on I reset the timing agin and it is still doing the same thing I try to start her and she turns over for about 15 secs then puff out of the throttle body no flame this time is there anything you guys can think of I am baffled at this ponit I have read thru my Haynes manual and nothing in there seems to help thanks for all the help guys I am just at my wits end if there is anybody out there in the clarksville,TN. area hit me up swing by the house for some beers and take a look at her

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I just got done messing with the timing agin now I think my timing is out of wack I turned the crank with a socket until the rotor was sitting as close to the #1 tower on the cap now when i try to fire her up she acts like she wants to start but doesn't I am going to mess with the timing agin and see if i can get the rotor on the number one and try agin thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think have my timing right the truck will now start and kinda run for a few seconds then dies when runs for those few seconds it seems like it is struggling to stay running and then when i give it gas it dies any advice I have checked my fuel lines, plug wires, and set the timing useing the TDC method I am getting spark at my number one plug when I pull it out and ground it should I loosen my distributor hold down clamp and turn the distributor a little to see if that helps also I rebuilt the throttle persay tore it down and replced all the gaskets and put it back together with no extra parts lol anyhow right now I am going to step away from the truck for a day or so and see if I can think of anything else that i moght have missed thanks agin guys

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's starting to sound like my current problem. My truck starts,runs for a few seconds and dies. Let's see who gets this solved first. I'm laughing because crying didn't work!  1gator

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tell me about it I am ready to blow my truck up lol anyhow will let you know what happens when I mess with her tommorrow goin try the 10%BTDC I am hopeing that will work I have till Nov. to get her up an running for the winter time cause I really dont want to be on my mike in the winter

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did you pull the injectors out?

Didn't forget to put the O-rings back on the bottom of the injectors did ya? ::)

Not sure why but this sounds familiar, might have happened to me once. But I'm not telling :-X

1 - 16 of 16 Posts