Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys .... i just bought an 89 rc 318 last week and it died on friday,,,the problem ,,, no fuel to the carb.

can anyone shed some light on where i can locate the fuel filter and fuel pump ,,, i have a canister on inside drivers side chassis rail is this the return vapour canister ?
any help would be appreciated

irish mark 8)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
what you are describing on frame rail is the fuel filter -- fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank. pump operation is controlled by the computer. do you hear the pump run for a short time when you first turn on key to start? this circuit goes thru an auto shutdown relay, controled by the computer. good luck

·
7,995 Posts
Need to do a little more detective work. Like the sheriff says...do you hear the fuel pump run for about 3 seconds when you turn the key to the on position?

After you listen for the fuel pump, disconnect the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes, reconnect and try to start the engine. It probably won't start but I want you to see if it will set an error Code 11 in the computer. Extract the error codes from the computer using the following procedure.

Turn the ignition switch ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON and observe the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT should begin to flash a series of codes. The flashes will be separated by short an long pauses. The long pauses separate the "ones" and "tens" positions, and each code from the next. A code 55 will be displayed at the end of the test.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks lads,,,, so far i cant hear the pump and i didnt get no codes when i tried,, so i took tank off ,,,and am in process o changin out pump ,, found a pin hole in tank where it meets the strap..... so i gotta repair that as well,,,
will let u know when its up and running
thanx again,,,,
irish mark

G

·
Welcome to the site "Degenerate" while you're here check out the Florida chapter. We just had another new member join up from Loxahatchee, I believe. There are lots of helpful people here, we'll get your RC up & running in no time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i had an 88 pacifica with a turbo and five speed. that car was lots of fun. i had to replace the fuel pump three times because chrysler didn't use the bosch pump as a replacement, using instead the v6 pump. i also had to replace the fuel pump relay and auto shutoff relay. any of these could be your problem. wish i had kept that car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.