Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
buy something smaller :) not trying to be harsh, but dont expect more than about 13 on a good day. headers and exhaust will help, as will an open element air filter. a good tune up isnt a bad idea either. since its a TBI, their arent many internal mods u can do due to the computer.

Duane

·
Registered
112 Posts
I increased the air pressure in my tires to 36# cold(they will increase to about 39# when hot). then a good tune up. This with a light foot on accellerations netted a 2.71 increase in mpg's. on my last four fill-ups.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Please don't take this wrong, but a smaller truck with a V-6 would get better milage. However with young folks learning to drive in this day an age, I think if I have it to do again with my kids, I'd have been better off putting them in a RamCharger or any of the Full Size trucks "Regurdless" of the gas milage. SAFETY is my primary concern. My son was in a wreck with his Neon and was hurt in his back pretty good when another driver rammed into his back end. That guy was going almost 55MPH. My son was at a complete stop....

Bottom line if you want to keep your son or daughter in a truck, do it. The gas milage that you will suffer is just a small price to pay for safety.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You may net a mile or so from a bunch of modifications, but the big thing will be keeping your foot out of it, learning to let it roll (Gas, Roll, break). Not the gas, break, gas, break.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My '89 2WD with the 318 got 13 in the city and 18 on the highway. With the fuel injection, lockup converter, and overdrive, there is not much I could have done to improve the mileage.

Sounds like it is time for your son to get a job :)

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I have a 90 4x4 Ramcharger with a 318 tbi.

I was getting horrible mileage when I got it back on the road last spring. It was running too rich...had a sooty tail pipe and code for O2 sensor. I changed the O2 sensor and went ahead and did the coolant temperature sensor. I also ran some injector cleaner through it. I used Lucas, but I suppose other brands will work, too. I also gave it new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. Tire pressure isn't high, just what it says onthe door jam.

I average around 13 in town.

Just for info, i have the original window sticker that came with it. The mileage listed is 11 city and 13 highway.

If it's a 4wd, I don't think you have a lock up converter.

As far as overdrive, here's my 2 cents:
If you have the OD tranny, I would suggest keeping the overdrive OFF when driving around town. I only use my overdrive when I'm on the highway for a long distance. The reason for this is because the overdrive tranny (A-518) tends to shift in and out of OD a lot unless you are cruising on the highway. The constant shifting causes a lot of heat. The lubricating system for the OD isn't the greatest, so the heat can cause problems (in extreme cases-tranny failure).

Ted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts