Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Been awhile since I last posted, I spent most of today reading the Vehicle Help Posts. Here's the 2 problems I have:

I have a 1989 Ramcharger LE with 360 T.B.I. AUTO 4X4

I can not accelerate(punch it) whether the engine is hot or cold, I have to ease in to the throttle to get going to reach highway speed, If I floor it, I get popping thru the air cleaner and a ton of hesitation but as soon as I let off the pedal, the speed picks up again. The other problem (which has gotten worse!) is that when it has reached normal operating temperature and I shut it off (to get gas or whatever) , it cranks over forever before it starts.

The following is what I have done:
No codes:
Changed the fuel filter, air filter and PCV valve and also removed and cleaned the fuel injectors:

Replaced plugs,wires,cap,rotor and checked timing:

I then tapped a fuel pressure guage in-line @ the TBI fuel inlet and I have the correct pressure @ idle and with the engine loaded (emergency brake on)
What I have found so far is that when it is hot and it takes for ever to start it, it never fires until the fuel pressure reaches 14.5psig. When I first turn on the key(not cranking), I get about 3 to 4 p.s.i.g. before the fuel pump cuts off. If I crank, it the engine always starts when the pressure reads over 10psig hot.
What should the fuel pressure be when you first turn the key to the on position?

And, when I floor it while it is in drive(emergency brake on, air cleaner removed and the aircleaner vacuum line plugged) i get coughing and flames out of the throttle body just as if I were out on the highway.
Any ideas? MAP sensor? Coolant Sensor? =Or even the fuel pump? I really want to fix her.

Idles perfect and I can also rev her up all day with no load

Thanks

·
7,995 Posts
Sounds like a bad fuel pump. Take a look at this service bulletin.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1989/14-02-89.htm

The fuel pump should fully pressurize the system when you first turn the key to "on". It won't start on 4# of pressure. If the pump allows the system to bleed down after you shut off the engine, this will allow a condition like vapor lock when trying to start it "hot". Change the pump and the in tank filter/sock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, I dropped the tank yesterday and discovered a pin hole in the supply line right next to the fuel pump. I replaced all the fuel lines in the tank. The pump was probably fine, but I replaced it anyway. I didn't want to drop the tank again! She's a hot rod again!!

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts