Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I am a new member; I sincerely appreciate all the hard work you all have put into this website to make life with a Dodge a little brighter than it would otherwise be.

I have searched through the help sections, but have not seen much for throttle cable help when going from TBI to carburetor. I have recently acquired an 88 Dodge W100 that had the 318 TBI. The previous owner had replaced the factory TBI with a Holley Pro-Jection. In order to get the new TBI to work with a kick down for the 727 (It does not currently), I have gone with a BouchillonPerformance kick down and throttle cable set-up. I have however hit one big snag while trying to implement it. The firewall hole is round, and I would guess almost 3/4 of an inch big. The throttle cable to firewall area uses a rubber bushing to take up the space. Bouchillon has two choices in throttle cables, round (which is considerably smaller in length specifically in the metal area that sits in the firewall and will not work with the grommet that sits in the 88 firewall hole, or the squire style throttle cable which is what most of the pre 88 trucks seem to have in the bone yard. Both the Bouchillon cables have the pre 88 carb style pinned connector for the carb. However the 88 318 TBI cable has a drum on the carb end of the cable that sits in a rolling barrel (if you will) on the TBI.

My need for help is from those who have either gone through a conversion from TBI to carb or factory TBI to Pro-Jection TBI on an 88 or up or have an 88 with the 360.

I did not find any 360 88's in the yard, but as I see in the manual the 360 was still carburetor in 88. I am hoping that if I find a throttle cable for an 88 with the 360, the carb end of the cable will be the pinned connector that will work with most carbs, and the cable will have the longer plastic interface that uses the larger grommet in the firewall. Would this be the case?

Any help you can give me on how to get past this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chump

The carb end on the left is the one that the Bouchillon kit requires work with the throttle lever adapter that fits the Holley Projection. The right one appears to me to be the firewall side squire style firewall to accelerator cable end that won't fit my large circle firewall hole. The Bouchillon cable I ordered is 27 inches tip to tip. The factory cable is 39 inches long tip to tip and I believe either will work in the overall length department depending on how tight a loop I put in it. The fit of either Bouchillon cable to the firewall hole in my 88 however would be too small or too small and the wrong shape. Check out the link to see the cable CA8418 which I have, and the squire style firewall end CA8408 that I believe has the same end as the cable on the right most side of the picture you have posted.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEcables.asp

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just thinking out loud here...

How large is the squire style squire for the firewall? I wonder if it would be big enough to take my Dremel and make my large firewall circle a squire hole. From what I had seen yesterday of older than 88 Dodge trucks in the yard, the squire is not much bigger than the smaller round firewall style. At first glance of the size of the squire style, I had dismissed this plan of attack. How does the squire style stay in the firewall? It looks to me that it has ears that hold it in, that are pinched to remove the cable, is this correct? If I go that route I might need the accelerator pedal arm that would go with the quire style as well? Perhaps there could be cables from other makes that have bigger than pre 88 Dodge truck squire style firewall hole that also have the squire style that might better do the trick?

·
7,995 Posts
Ok..this cable is listed as the replacement for a 1988 W100 w/360 at the NAPA site. Perhaps they may be able to order one that you can look at before you buy? Here's the rest of the info.

Item#: BK 6101395
Price: $ 31.99
Attributes: Accelerator Cable
Length: 27.250''
Type of Packaging: Boxed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts