Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 dodge ramcharger with a fuel injected 318 4x4 I am curious what is out there for quick and easy mods that doesn’t involve a lot of engine tear down. I was also thinking just for fun to throw a supercharger on there, I don’t expect huge power outputs from the supercharger, just curious how much psi would be safe on a stock 318 and what kind of upgrades to make the engine strong enough to handle higher psi, but I’m mainly looking for quick easy and cheap mods that don’t envolve much down time on the truck, I’m eventually going to do a rebuild and would want to do this kinds of upgrades when that happens, but for now, any suggestions?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
fast easy cheap and better do not mix . " speed costs , how fast do you want to go ? " problems with little effort improvemnets to your 88 tbi :  throttle body/pcm not happy with mods , it can't adjust enough for them , factory low compression heads/pistons . If you JUST add a supercharger ( more air / compression) then you don't have enough fuel , so the question of "how much boost ?"by itself  is moot , many changes must "work" together .( the basic 318 will take quite a bit if properly assembled )

more power for now ? check fuel pressure , be sure it is at the upper end of specs , check catalytic converter AND Y pipe for restrictions ( some Y pipes were double wall and the inside wall CAN collapse ) I.E. make it run RIGHT it may have more than you think ... '88 was not a performance year for "trucks" though . 

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If you change it to carb you can modify it anyway you like . If you go to stand-alone TBI Like holly sniper or fitech, also pretty much any way you like.                           
        A 360smec (computer) works for a little power boost. BUT comes with some trade-offs of not running correctly.                                                                                   
    If your real computer savvy you can (socket) the SMEC, which means it'll have a spot for a removable chip. Although that also means you have to read the prom and burn a new chip.      I have a link in my phone somewhere that tells you step-by-step how to socket the smec if I can find it I will post it here.          And look up gselstr's. Post (thread) Re: TBI guru's only - Stumble/bog but no cause found - RESOLVED.                   
            i belive he has a bunch of mods done to his TBI.                                                   
            If you do make changes you should install an air fuel ratio gauge so you don't destroy the engine

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
With TBI you are very limited as the computer isn't capable of accommodating changes to the engine.  There are a couple "computer cams" available, but since all the later engines are roller cam, they are pretty expensive for what little gain they provide.  Some have had luck with TBI 318s by switching to the 360 throttle body and computer, but in my opinion, you may as well just swap the entire 360 in and be done with it and at least gain that much from it.  To do any "real" modifications or power adders you will have to swap to a carb or go with aftermarket fuel injection.

·
Registered
904 Posts
TrickyQuest89 said:
I have heard of just throwing some magnum heads, exhaust headers and a new edelbrock intake has gained 300+ hp on chrysler LA 318 engines.As far as cheap thats what I would do. Of course application of these upgrades varies upon model and engine displacement.
yup done this myself. stock 360-2bbl cam, EQ heads Hooker headers and Performer intake and carb. people thought I was lying when I said it was a 318. but a 318 it was and an untouched stock OEM shortblock with 130-ish K miles when I did the Magnum heads.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
Elwenil said:
With TBI you are very limited as the computer isn't capable of accommodating changes to the engine. There are a couple "computer cams" available, but since all the later engines are roller cam, they are pretty expensive for what little gain they provide. Some have had luck with TBI 318s by switching to the 360 throttle body and computer, but in my opinion, you may as well just swap the entire 360 in and be done with it and at least gain that much from it. To do any "real" modifications or power adders you will have to swap to a carb or go with aftermarket fuel injection.
I concur.
Why mess with the 318 when a 360 will give you more torque and power.
You can build a 360 for the same cost as a 318 and have an additional 42 C.I. right away.
Or you can get a 440 and have an additional 122 C.I. ;D

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
"quick and easy mods that don't involve alot of teardown "  yeah , go over what the factory put there , often stuff like cats are plugged up over time , vac lines are leaking , and all told its not running as well as it ounce did .

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
dodge82273 said:
"quick and easy mods that don't involve alot of teardown " yeah , go over what the factory put there , often stuff like cats are plugged up over time , vac lines are leaking , and all told its not running as well as it ounce did .
I concur again.
And let me translate... Ounce= a unit of measurement. Once= On one occasion or for one time only. At some time in the past; formerly.
Sorry dodge. I know your mechanic skills are way better than you spelling ones. ;D

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
No sorry required , ya see I don't give a sh!t , there are many languages , many many , all any of 'em do is convey a message ( I usta know American sign too ) AND with that in mind , I DID get the message across .... did ya know around here , fellas use boughten (as in "store bought" ) tools too ? and their not reliable ("not liable")  for the bills of their ex wives ? they verbally SAY things wrong !  but THEY are however good spellers ......... ya think I'm bad , LOL  ;D

oh , I was a tower , years ago , ( operator of a towing company ) , and was called to pull down a 400 foot tower .

AND yes a unit of measurement as in runs as well as it did at ONE time , like when new ........... that 1 time huh ? eh? LOL    gotchya ................. ;)

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
dodge82273 said:
No sorry required , ya see I don't give a sh!t , there are many languages , many many , all any of 'em do is convey a message ( I usta know American sign too ) AND with that in mind , I DID get the message across .... did ya know around here , fellas use boughten (as in "store bought" ) tools too ? and their not reliable ("not liable") for the bills of their ex wives ? they verbally SAY things wrong ! but THEY are however good spellers ......... ya think I'm bad , LOL ;D

oh , I was a tower , years ago , ( operator of a towing company ) , and was called to pull down a 400 foot tower .

AND yes a unit of measurement as in runs as well as it did at ONE time , like when new ........... that 1 time huh ? eh? LOL gotchya ................. ;)
Your, You are, you're right about a lot of guys here having problems with the American dialect/ spelling. I just like to pick on you because you won't feel insulted because you just don't give a poop. ;D

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
well yer right correct , and I do my best to pick back once in a while tee hee . oh today speak : bestus bestest ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.