Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed the crank pulley and I also have by puller set up to remove the harmonic balancer. However, when I start tightening the center bolt the only thing that happens is that the balancer starts rotating the crank. I am gaining to ground in removing the balancer! Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Use an impact.  Stick something between the puller bolts for leverage.  If the pan is off, stick a block of wood to block the throws of the crankshaft.  If it's a straight drive, put it in gear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automatic with transmission still in monster crate. Oil pan is off so I will try blocking it. Impact gun will not fit do to length of bolt and brace to the grill.
Thanks agian and will share the result

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
It's more like a wheel hub grease seal.  Typical metal seal housing that you tap in, not nearly as complicated as the two piece rear one.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,242 Posts
The front crank seal is in the timing cover and nothing like the rear main seal. To replace it means to remove the timing cover as it installs front the backside. For safe keeping, just put the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke and install the new chain and gears at the 6 o'clock/ 12 o'clock positions.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Some install from the front of the cover, others from the back.  It all depends on the cover itself.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,242 Posts
That's right. I remember now. Most that I have had installed from the inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.