Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! My father has an '88 that just doesn't want to get up and go. If you are light on the accelerator, it goes, but if you need to go up a hill, or punch it to pass, the engine will die (as long as you let up quickly, it'll keep running.) We replaced... fuel filter, wires, plugs, dist cap and rotor. We took the injectors out and cleaned them, this did help it run a little stronger. Vacuum is around 20. Also rises and fallls properly proving converter isn't plugged. While in driveway, I held throttle wide open, engine revved then started to die, I then hit it with starting fluid and it took off. The computer has been setting a code for A/C relay/WOT cut out. This vehicle doesn't have A/C, came from the factory this way. Any ideas what might be causing this lean state and why this code keeps coming up? Other than that, it idles and runs perfect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.. this is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Could be a few different things, but first thing that I would check is fuel pressure. It should be 14.5 psi. If fuel pressure is ok and timing is right on, I would check the throttle position sensor next. If it is starting to go, it may be sending the wrong info to the controller. I haven't come across it on my Ramcharger, but sometimes they can be within the specified range (min/max), but read incorrectly. In other words (for example), the throttle is open 3/4 and the position sensor is telling the controller that it is only 1/2 throttle. Then it leans out to the point where it won't run. This should trip a code eventually. Maybe try the fuel pressure and let us know the result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K.C. said:
Could be a few different things, but first thing that I would check is fuel pressure. It should be 14.5 psi. If fuel pressure is ok and timing is right on, I would check the throttle position sensor next. If it is starting to go, it may be sending the wrong info to the controller. I haven't come across it on my Ramcharger, but sometimes they can be within the specified range (min/max), but read incorrectly. In other words (for example), the throttle is open 3/4 and the position sensor is telling the controller that it is only 1/2 throttle. Then it leans out to the point where it won't run. This should trip a code eventually. Maybe try the fuel pressure and let us know the result.
Thanks for the information. We will next test the fuel pressure, then the throttle position sensor like you suggested. Hopefully we will get the trucks power back. I'll let ya know how things are going. Thanks again!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had the same problem, just changed the fuel pump on the my 90 rc. It runs great now. Check the fuel pump.

·
7,995 Posts
I agree on the fuel pump..also the code for the A/C would be normal for a non-A/C vehicle. The computer is the same for both A/C and non/A/C...this means the computer is looking for a signal from the WOT relay, since you don't have one it figures there is a problem. Don't worry about it.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree too, check your fuel pump. Also check your throttle positioning sensor and/or MAP sensor as well as mentioned. You may also wanna make sure the catalytic converter isn't plugged. That will play hell with your motor. May also wanna check/replace your O2 sensor. Since you mentioned though it's only when your driving. The problem may be in your tranny! Your converter may not be engaging/disengaging, or your pump may not be pumping up enough pressure. I would start checkin out the tranny.

Personally, I think they should do away with all computers on vehicles. They just screw things up more & more!! Like the saying goes," To error is to be human, but it takes a computer to really frig things up!!" ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts