Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aren't they exactly the same? eletrical, carb, intake wise? I want to know b/c im trying to find some basic performance parts for my 88 Ram.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
no, they are not alike. 88 was the first year for tbi, 92 the first for mpfi and serpantine belts.

Duane

G

·
Because despite the location of the fuel injectors, there's a throttle body that handles the airflow. Even a carb is a throttle body of sorts. With the '88's, the throttle body has the injectors included in the package. With SMPI, the injectors are no longer included, but it's still a throttle body handling the airflow, as dictated by the throttle blades,.....as dictated by your foot. Intakes are also different, and cannot be swapped unless you swap the heads too, or get the heads drilled to accept the manifold.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
like william said, they should be called throttle body spacers. i do not know if anyone make TBI spacers for the 88-91 rigs though.

Duane

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I would really like to see a test on TB spacers as to what the hell they do for performance

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lol it sounds really really shady, i understand and can see the effects on a carburator plate, on a TBI plate i can't see it since it also isn't having an effect by vacuum or venturi signal, but can see how buffeting could help as the fuel and air pass the plate together, but i have no damned idea how in the hell a plate behind the TB on a MPI system does a damned thing even a buffeting plate.
Someone needs to test these

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
TB spacers on Magnum engines do nothing. That is pretty much a known fact. They could work on other MPI engines, just depends on the intake design. If you notice the magnum engines already have a 10 inch drop below the TB and spacing it up another inch does nothing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts