Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 87 RC it has a 318 with a 2 barrel holly carb. I want to know how to tell what tranny i have and what axles are on it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im also having low oil pressure and wondering if the oil pump is going out! How hard would it be to change the oil pump with out pulling the motor?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
since you say "axles" it must be a 4x4.  so it will have a 727 trans, a D 44 in the front and a Chry 9 1/4 rear if it hasnt been molested....

·
Registered
29,344 Posts
if the motor sounds good and NO ticking or strange noises then you have the common problem of dodge truck gauges reading low and the OIL gauge is the worst

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
All the above +1

hook up a mechanical gauge to see what your oil pressure actually is.  "normal" stock reading at idle is around one or two ticks and about one tick left of center when at speed.

You can change the oil pump with engine still in the truck. It can be easy or a pain depending on the condition of your engine mounts.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how can i tell the front axle is a d 44 cause i was told that it would be a 12 bolt but its only a 10 bolt and the rear is a 12 bolt?
were would i hook the gauge up at to test the oil pressure?

sorry my posts are kinda dry im still tryin to figure stuff out and i figured this would be the best way. but thanks for the knowledge on what is in my RC!!!!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
get the "SHIBBY" 10 bolt 12 bolt crap out of your mind.

look at the 5:00 position on the face of the front diff, you will see the "44"..  the 9 1/4 rear has a cover shaped lika a stop sign. 

the oil pressure sending unit is behind and a touch to the rear of the dist.
in the block

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help ill be checkin this out this weekend when i put manual hubs on and lock out the cad system since 4wheeldrive wont engage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts