Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new wiring harness for my '87 RC w/318 AUTO. I have noticed a crapload of rigged up wiring from previous owners, and I want to get a whole new wiring harness for all the parts of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hmm.. Key word 'New'? Is '87 TBI or carb? If its carb, you can get a Painless harness (around $300 or so), make your own (cheaper, but know what your doing) or a junkyard. AFAIK, you can't get the factory harness new from the dealer (and if you can, I cringe at what it might cost). If it's a TBI, you are SOL... You have to go to the junkyard. Maybe Chump has some insight into this?

Matt {peace}

·
7,995 Posts
I don't think you will find the harnesses brand new any more. The best thing you can do is to get a Factory Service Manual and rebuild your old harnesses. Most of the terminals are still available, some of the connectors(plastic) are still available but you can always reuse your old ones.

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
lol, the answer hasn't changed. They still don't make new ones. You can rebuild yours. I did it for mine.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
lol, the answer hasn't changed. They still don't make new ones. You can rebuild yours. I did it for mine.
Yes.
I really isn't that hard. Just replace what's there.
Take you time and watch you tube videos on ways to correctly do the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The guy before pulled all the wiring, it’s in the trunk. No experience with wiring at all but I have plenty of tools at my disposal. Not sure where to start though. Not even sure what youtube can do as I can’t find anything having to do with Ramcharger wiring on there

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
I suggest you buy a Factory Service Manual ( a BOOK ) it will have ALL the wiring diagrams INCLUDING how the are routed in the auto , and the color codes of ALL wires ... member dodgeboys may be able to help .

given a choice of repairing + /reinstalling a factory harness and installing an aftermarket that is "sort" of right I repair /reinstall .
aftermarket : "universal" for dodge , an unpopular restoration brand . for a mustang or cammarrow , perfect . your year alone there was 2 or 3 systems used ... and the factory BOOK has them all ...

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Mattpig said:
The guy before pulled all the wiring, it's in the trunk. No experience with wiring at all but I have plenty of tools at my disposal. Not sure where to start though. Not even sure what youtube can do as I can't find anything having to do with Ramcharger wiring on there
Well Youtube can help you learn how to work with wire... soldering/ using the correct connectors, splicing, etc.

·
Registered
29,708 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts