Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 2wd rc and starting a few weeks ago the rc would vibrate when it shifted to second gear at full or close to full throttle. (feels like you ran over a cattle guard) since then it has gotten worse, now it slips in first and second with moderate peddle use. I have heard that a linkage from the carb controlls fluid flow in the tranny and that is probably the problem. So how do I adjust this? Any ideas? The fluid is clean and red and full. Thanks

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Do that and check to see if your kickdown linkage is adjusted properly just to be sure

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do I adjust the bands? The kickdown linkage is hooked up and it does work. If I can't fix it I may just sell it, or part it out. I just don't see how the bands being adjusted could make it slip like this and if so why it has progressively gotten worse. Reverse and drive are still perfectly normal, but if you push the gas a little more than 1/4 pedal in 1st or 2nd and the tranny slips which feels like a violent vibration. It even does it if you try to put it in drive without desetting the choke. :-\

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
The bands have to be adjusted to a certain torque, 72 in lbs, to keep the right ammount of tension on the clutch housings so that the clutches will engage properly. I think thats how they work. Anyways... The front band adjustment is on the outside of the trans on the case, and the reverse band is on the inside of the trans, you need to drop the pan for that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.