Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an '87 RC with a 318 and it keeps breaking down on me. The first problem I had was the ignition switch went bad. Now It's broken down in my schools parking lot, in my parking spot. It cranks and it acts like it's about to start, but it just doesn't fire. I don't know if it's an electrical problem or not. I just bought a new coil and that didn't help. It's getting fuel also so I doubt it's the pump or that the filter is clogged.
I'm 16 and have already spent over $3000 on this damn truck, I don't have much money left, I still have to replace the windshield and get headers and a custom exhaust to pass inspection(the guy i bought it from took the muffler off, and the tailpipe is rotted out and about to fall off.)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Sounds like weak/no spark. What condition are the cap and rotor, plugs and wires in?

-SM

·
Registered
936 Posts
tow it home, after dark so nobody has to watch, work on it there.
check for spark, check the timing, make more posts.....that is all for now

·
Registered
936 Posts
hey don't trip- chances are it's something small and electrical, you will still have some $ left over for that fancy exaust system

·
Registered
14 Posts
I beleive 87 Ramchargers without a Spark Control Computer will have a ballist resistor like my old Dodge. Check and see. It took me about 3 hours to figure out this $3.00 part was my reason for no go. Another Dodge trademark, the infamous voltage regulator. These are my starting points. I've learned to just carry extras with me. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm going to tow it home tomorrow, but during the day...the school is right down the street like a mile. I'll get back to you on whether or not what you guys said fixed it or not. Again, thanks for the help...it was a good idea for me to come here and load you guys with my troubles.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I shorted the wires for the ballast resistor together and still no go. Earlier this afternoon it did start up. I then shut it off and tried to start it and it backfired through the carberatur.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is that possible though? I never messed with anything at all and I haven't done anything hardcore with it, just driving it around. When I parked it at school, I went to start it back up and it wouldn't start, and that was RIGHT after it had been running...like 10 seconds.

·
Registered
359 Posts
shadowofhate said:
Is that possible though? I never messed with anything at all and I haven't done anything hardcore with it, just driving it around. When I parked it at school, I went to start it back up and it wouldn't start, and that was RIGHT after it had been running...like 10 seconds.
This is usually when the timing belt skips, on starting.
BTDT . . .Been There Done That

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Did it diesel (run-on) when you shut it off the last time? This is another common time for the timing chain to jump.

-SM

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I finally made it to the timing chain, it wasn't fun..but I did it. I found out that the cam was completely 180º from where it was supposed to be, it was WAY out of time. I'm going to start putting it back together tomorrow and hope that it will work now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.