Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would i be able to put in a 99 5.2 and make it carburated so i dont have to mess with a computer?
because there is one with 50000 on it for 750$?

G

·
Maybe but whats wrong with your old engine?

to do that you would need an intake for a carburator and the carburator it self, but im not sure what else you would need......

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
It would be a mostly bolt in swap.  You will have to obtain a Magnum carb manifold and 4BBL carb.  Pretty much everything else will swap over from your old engine like the distributor, ignition, mounts, timing cover, accessory brackets, etc if you have a 318 in your truck now.  You will need to run an electric fuel pump with this engine.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Elwenil said:
It would be a mostly bolt in swap. You will have to obtain a Magnum carb manifold and 4BBL carb. Pretty much everything else will swap over from your old engine like the distributor, ignition, mounts, timing cover, accessory brackets, etc if you have a 318 in your truck now. You will need to run an electric fuel pump with this engine.
Or change the bolt pattern on the heads and just run a pre-Magnum intake and swap over your old electronics and mounts.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Eh, the machine work and head gasket set would probably cost more than the new intake.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Elwenil said:
Eh, the machine work and head gasket set would probably cost more than the new intake.
If the heads are crack checked and get a valve job before being redrilled it could be as much. Otherwise it's less. Those intakes are still expensive.

G

·
Are you planning on using the Magnum serpentine accessory drive? If so, you will have to rub the electric fuel pump. Remember to get a Magnum fan as well since they spin opposite your original. If you want to use the original, you can swap over the timing cover and the old style pulleys, etc. This will allow use of an engine-driven fuel pump. The LA timing cover has the place to mount the pump. Head over to Hughes engines and get the cut down fuel pump eccentric fir use on short snout Magnum cams. Ultimately, it'll work, just depends on how you wanna do it.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Ah, I was unaware that Hughes made a special eccentric for the Magnum engines.

·
Super Moderator
14,033 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,033 Posts
Also,  the Chinese-made "Crosswind" intake is a Performer RPM knockoff that has dual bolt patterns for the LA and Magnum heads.  It is much cheaper than the Mopar intake (new).  I doubt it's as good as the Edelbrock, but if you need cheap, it's a way to go.

G

·
Again with these half-asleep responses of mine. Initially, the solution was a cut down eccentric, but it looks like the cam extension Hughes offers now is a better idea.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
Also, the Chinese-made "Crosswind" intake is a Performer RPM knockoff that has dual bolt patterns for the LA and Magnum heads. It is much cheaper than the Mopar intake (new). I doubt it's as good as the Edelbrock, but if you need cheap, it's a way to go.
I just did the thing so my heads have both bolt patterns. I can bolt any LA or Magnum intake I please on except the '64-5 273s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts