Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help with an 87 Ramcharger:

1. Need to upgrade brakes. Towing my 2700 lb boat gets a little hairy when trying to stop.

2. I would like to see a little more low end torque. Besides bigger exhaust and K&N air filter any suggestions? What about plugs, wires, cap and coil?

3. And finally gears. I plan on going to 33X10.5R15 BFG A/T's. I'm thinking 3.55 gears should gain a little performance and not sacrifice too much gas mileage. Any input?

Thanks for the help. It's been 2 1/2 years since I sold my last RC and I never had the money or time to build it the way I wanted too. That's about to change on this RC that I just bought this week.

John

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Cool! Welcome back to the Dodge Side!
1. You've got disk front, drum rear, correct?
Disc brakes from an old Imperial or some other "C body" will adapt to the factory 9.25 rear axle, click on this...
for ideas on how to do it.
http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=&action=howtoshow;id=47

Or add electric trailer brakes to the trailer axle...

2. That and advance the timing as far as you can without inciting preignition PING...

3. As you know, the taller tires will reduce your low end grunt, which you were wishing for in # 2 above... maybe 3.7x or 3.9x gears would be better. You already know that you'll get low gas mileage whether you add more gear or not...

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think boat trailers don't usually get electric brakes. Does your trailer have surge brakes? make sure they are working properly, mine work just fine when I had the big boat and the little truck (dakota)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Trailer does not have brakes, but that could be changed with some of the electric brake kits out there. But, I like the idea of disc's on the 9.25" since the braking without a trailer leaves a little to be desired!

As far as the timing, doesn't the ECM (? on the right fender) control this? Or does it just control the advance? How about if I put a Mopar orange ignition with vacuum advance and ditch the whole ECM?

3.90's should do the job, but I think that requires a carrier change in the D44. Was trying to avoid that, but then again maybe it is time to put a sure-grip in the front!

Thanks again,

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts