Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

working on an 87 fullsize van, slant 6, auto tranny.

tranny went out in the van, what i need to know is, how do i tell if tranny has a lock up converter or not? also, will a tranny out of a 76 van work on this one?

wondering this cuz it would cost $275 for a tranny out of an 88 van or $125 for a tranny out of a 76

any thing ya all could tell me would be appreciated

thanks

eric

·
Registered
90 Posts
The way to tell the difference is by the output shaft. A non lock-up will have splines all the way to the beveled end of the shaft. A lock-up will have about 3/4" of machined, smooth polished bare shaft at the end.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigJake said:
The way to tell the difference is by the output shaft. A non lock-up will have splines all the way to the beveled end of the shaft. A lock-up will have about 3/4" of machined, smooth polished bare shaft at the end.
ok as far as lock up or non lock up goes i dont think that is as big a deal because i will get the torque converter regardless of which way i go.

the big question will be, will the 76 tranny work in the 87 van?

thanks

eric

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Yes as long as its for a slant six.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
yeah, both of them should bolt up just the same, dodge didnt change that kinda stuff very often.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StandardByker88 said:
yeah, both of them should bolt up just the same, dodge didnt change that kinda stuff very often.
ok i appreciate all of this guys, i was pretty sure they would but i have been guilty of wrong thinking before, and since it isnt my money i am spending, i figured i had better double check and make sure

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok guys, found out some good news and possibly some bad news.

the van i am working on is an 87 b100, well i went out this afternoon and got the tranny, only thing is it is out of a 76 b200. now the good thing about this is, it is a 727. bad news is the 87 had a 904 in it.

now my new questions are this, am i going to need the flexplate out of the 76 to match this torque converter, or will the 904 torque converter use the same flexplate?

the other question would be will the 87 driveshaft work, but i will probably have to just put it up there and see if it still fits.

one other thing, wouldnt a b200 be a 3/4 ton, if so shouldnt it have 8 bolt rims? it was odd cuz this one had 5 bolt rims.

thanks again

eric

ps: how rare is a /6 727?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
correct a B200 is a 3/4T. /6 727 is not that rare.. 727 was offered for HD applications; On the vans I don't think they stepped up to 8 bolt till the 1T, but not sure on that one. I think the 727 uses a shorter shaft, but double check it.
Flexplate should be the same.
Aaron Wyse

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok now correct me if i am wrong here, this guy uses van for hauling around about 1500-2000 pounds worth of tools, the 727 ought to be better anyway.

eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts