Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new autometer temp quage installed on my truck so I could finally know how hot she was running. The old one didn't work, but my new guage seems to be good. Anyhow at warm up it climbs up to about 205 and then drops back down to about 190 and holds steady. When she's going off-road (playing) and crawling around she climbs up to 200. I'm not sure what this thing should run at because i just recently got it. It has a new radiator and I just changed the coolant. I'm thinking that the thermostat isn't opening till about 195, isn't that a little high? I was thinking about putting a bottle of red line's water wetter or something similar. Do they work?What should my truck be running at?

G

·
If your truck has a 195 degree thermostat in it then the numbers you give are about right. It will run a little hotter when you're out playing because you don't have as much air running through your radiator. Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Also go check outthe tech thread on electriuc fans might be the solution to keeping cool and getting rid of the the ckutch fan .

bt83rc

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I just put a cooler thermostat in 180 or so. These temps just seem a little high to me. My buddy's ch$#y has got a 450 horse small block in a car and he's only running 175-185 degrees tops.

G

·
Sure you can put in a 180 degree 'stat. It won't hurt anything since you're not fuel injected. I run a 195 with no problems or worries. If you are running the correct mixture of coolant the boiling point is a lot higher than water so hitting 200-205 isn't a problem. Change it if you want but a 195 is okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts