Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'll figure it out eventually lol.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
VintageAir a/c install starting with the firewall and room behind the dash. The GenIV Magnum is too big to fit in the available space without doing one of two things. Building a recessed panel for the opening in the firewall deep enough to allow you to keep the glovebox, about 6" deep or so. Or, using a flat panel to cover the opening, ditching the inner piece of the glovebox lid and notching the dash frame about an inch. Since I never kept anything of importance in the glovebox anyway, I chose to just ditch it.

The panel I made is 1/8" aluminum, bolted in with 1/4" bolts and sealed to the firewall with black silicone. Fairly straightforward, just a bunch of eyeballing measuring and then cutting. Used a holesaw for the line holes, nothing much to it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Once I got the placement of everything figured out, dash brace modified slightly and the upper plenum brace made it was time to start putting things together. Also blocked off the hole in the right kick panel since the VA has no provision for outside air. A piece of 1/8" aluminum, some black silicone and pop rivets took care of that. Covered the firewall with 1/2" Dynaliner heat/noise insulation and then started assembly.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Various pics. Blocked one defrost outlet on the plenum and used a tee in the hoses. Defrost ducts are E body pieces, minor trimming and drilled a couple holes for #8 machine screws and bolted them in. The white tabs holding the wiring and ductwork up are 3M peel and stick wall hangers. Used WeldOn 3 ABS glue to cement them in place.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A/C switches.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I made a bracket to relocate the a/c compressor a few years back never had an a/c to hook it to, planning to do this install someday. Had my doubts about the amount of belt contact with the crank and a/c clutch pulleys when I made it, so I've added a flat idler pulley to give almost 180 dregrees of contact on both of those pulleys. Fan, water pump, alternator and a/c is asking a whole lot of two A section belts. If it prematurely eats belts running the a/c a lot I'll have to do something to reduce the load, maybe go with an electric fan. It's been fine without the a/c in the equation for five years, see how it goes.

Reactions: SuperBurban

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
VEE belts may not LIKE being bent backwards .

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
VEE belts may not LIKE being bent backwards .
They may not, gives me problems I'll do something different. Might have to go serpentine. The V belts haven't offered to flip or come off so far, just have to wait and see if they last.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Problem I was having is that it kept inserting the picture of Kurt's exhaust no matter where I clicked on his following post. I'm on my desktop, don't see a trash tab anywhere,
You can blame it on me.
I'm used to it now. :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
59,411 Posts

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
true , I forgot about those , why I said MAY . Don't really know ,I do know those are a different construction belts IF that matters , I also don't know ....

21 - 33 of 33 Posts