Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this truck for 13 years and it's had the normal upgrades, locked 60's, crossover steering, 10pt cage etc. When I first got it I dropped in an '82 360 and '88 TBI. Drove it for a few years then dropped in a '90 roller 360 with a mild Hughes cam, intake and headers, still fed by the factory TBI. During all that time it was still just an old rattletrap beater.....but I've been doing some work on it in the last year.

My goal isn't boner inducing build quality, just a nice driver/capable wheeler to pull a 20' camper with. Getting old, like to go see a few things and run a few trails before I kick it. Before you ask why the new A/C t'll be getting a soft cover to enclose the back of the cab and some fresh paint before long. Still have considerable work to do first. Just talked to a guy about the cover, he was stitching up an interior for a damn nice '30 Model A street rod. Told him to put me on the list, be August or so before he can get me in.

So anyway, that's the plan and here's how she looked about a year ago.

·
Super Moderator
59,449 Posts
Cool. Good to see you still moving along.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soon to be 410 360, Eddy heads, Hughes cam and valvetrain, ProFlow 4 EFI, headers that were a friggin' nightmare, upsized exhaust, some new wiring mixed in with the remains of the gutted TBI harness.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bunch more pics/long winded explanations to come.
Here's the upgraded exhaust. Cheap Summit turbos were way too loud and raspy so I added a couple Vibrant resonators. Made a world of difference in tone and sound levels.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New dash bezel from Classic Dash, it's most definitely not a drop in piece. It looks similar to the factory piece but that's about it. It does have the four screws at the top but no factory type mounting tabs with the spring retainers. I just drilled holes in the dash structure on the front and sides, painted the heads of some screws black and cinched it down. Gauges are Autometer. 5" electric speedometer and tach. Oil, temp, volt and fuel gauges, with the fuel gauge going through a Metermatch control box.

Reactions: SuperBurban

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the cage occupying the left A/C vent I needed an alternate location for one. The only place to put it was in the opening occupied by the headlight switch, or get a cheesy looking underdash vent and freeze my kneecap off. I chose to move the headlight switch, it was about shot anyway. That plus the new gauges and VintageAir led to a complete rewire of the dash, with rocker switches operating the lights, lockers, winch and front camera/LCD screen. The headlights are now powered via relay with a 20A breaker in the circuit. The rest are tied into the factory fuse box. I removed the fuse box terminals and soldered in new runs of wire to all the new components. Every connection is soldered and covered with heat shrink, no crimp connectors anywhere. The Autometer kit comes with it's own harnesses [body/gauges] with a connector between the two. Greatly simplified that part of it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wanted a thumbwheel for the dash light dimmer instead of a knob, so I robbed a gear out of a can opener, made a mount out of sheet ABS plastic, and for better or worse there it is. If you ever need to glue ABS get some WeldOn 3. Stuff is the berries. It melds the pieces together.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Nice!
Thanks for posting this ongoing build. Keep it up!
Like you exhaust. I did the same thing with the resonators because I like the stealthier sound. I put my resonators after the mufflers. I have quite a few miles on them now. I think they've lost their effectiveness. Probably need to update them soon.
Here's a shot when they were new.

I sure wish somebody would build a semi- quiet performance muffler.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
How do you like your Vintage Air?
I was looking at those guys for my Daytona clone climate control.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last pic for today. The wiring harness for the gauges is nice. Mostly plug and play although I did have to shorten some of the runs up for my application since it's a universal harness. I made the switch harness out of GM pieces so it unplugs as well when removing the panel.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't say on the Vintage Air on performance yet, It blows cold but not much of it as far as cfm. It's the GenIV Magnum, touted as 'powerful enough to cool the largest sedan or wagon'. Apparently those guys didn't grow up riding in a big 'ol Chrysler with six vents in the dash and would freeze you out on low.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Kurt I can't get this thing to insert the right quote.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Can't say on the Vintage Air on performance yet, It blows cold but not much of it as far as cfm. It's the GenIV Magnum, touted as 'powerful enough to cool the largest sedan or wagon'. Apparently those guys didn't grow up riding in a big 'ol Chrysler with six vents in the dash and would freeze you out on low.
Yep. I've heard their CFM was low. That's why they use tiny vents.
I need mucho CFM here in the desert.
Love your wiring job... very professional. I try. Get close. Better than I was 10 years ago. ;D

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Sorry Kurt I can't get this thing to insert the right quote.
I can see your trying. :giggle:
Use the" reply" at the bottom where your responding.

·
Super Moderator
59,449 Posts
Yes, the reply button is the simplest. Using the quote button, adds the quote to a temp area, you can add more then one quote, and it gets confusing quick. There isa trash can picture next to the quote you can use to empty it from the multi quote temp area.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Problem I was having is that it kept inserting the picture of Kurt's exhaust no matter where I clicked on his following post. I'm on my desktop, don't see a trash tab anywhere,

·
Super Moderator
59,449 Posts
If you get too many quotes in the multi quote, you can delete them by clicking on the trash can. After you click on the insert quote button.

I will try to remember to delet this in a week or so, so it will not mess up your build thread.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you get too many quotes in the multi quote, you can delete them by clicking on the trash can. After you click on the insert quote button.

I will try to remember to delet this in a week or so, so it will not mess up your build thread.

View attachment 617302
The trash can tab doesn't show up on my desktop (8 years old) or phone (6 years old, a G6) when creating a reply.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts