Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.

The pictures are what I have for a hotwire on this truck until I can find a correct column.

The yellow is the starter
The red is the battery
The pink is the coil
the blue is the alternator

So I believe the pink(coil) and blue(alternator) go together on the new switch at the IGN stud.
The battery(red) goes to BAT
The yellow(starter) goes to ST

This leaves a heavier black with red stripe
a black that is medium heavy
a black that is small gauge

Where do these three blacks go?  Anyone?
Modify message

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the larger black with red stripe is the heater and goes to the IGN
The medium black wire is the radio and goes to the ACC

The black small one, don't know.  When I am in the IGN on position, I touch the small black wire to the STarter
bolt and the starter turns.

Any clues as to what that one small black wire is?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also got a red Brake light in the instrument display when I touched the small black wire to the BAT terminal.

So, that would be my lights maybe for the instrument cluster?
Would that need to be ACC or IGN.

OR are the lights for the instrument cluster only controlled by the pull knob on the dash?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
before ya fry your harness / truck , find the "correct column " and or make the one you have work by getting the wire diagrams you need , I myself don't have a 1986 fsm book so I cannot for certain tell your wire colors job , but if you email dodgeboys at his ramcharger address , he may have just what you need .

the fact that A lite " brake" light illuminates when you power the small black wire does NOT mean its for dash lighting . key on from factory will light that IF the parking brake is down a little ,OR , brake pressure switch is moved.

factory wiring : headlights do not run thru the key at all , nor do 4 way's or brake lights . That stuff all works even with out a key right ?  the key powers some fuses in the panel when it's "ON" shuts off some when cranking ,  it powers some in the panel when its "ACC" and it powers some when in acc on and start .... the universal switch you have won't quite do this for ya ... different year columns can be wired to work

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem with different year columns is that there are 8 versions. 

Tilt is 2" shorter shaft.  3 years difference and there was a different wiring harness connector. One of the four.

I've looked at 6 different trucks and they are all different than mine.  D350 w/360 727.  non tilt auto. the most basic one made in these years. 

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not worried about frying the wiring.  There were a bunch of morons that have already had their way with the column. 

This is how I fixed it so I can drive it until I find the correct complete column.  Before and after pics. 

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yeah cool ...., try e mailing this fella , explain what you have and what your trying to do , he has wire diagrams he may share one with you ?    DODGEBOYS FSM STORE
                                [email protected]
mean while phot the connector you have , measure the lenght of the column you need , include a photo and location in the " classified section " here , under      "wanted"    many members have parts to help you , I know I have a few loose columns with keys in my storage , but what years they are from is unkown ...

meanwhile , the universal ... one power IN , one out from the start pole (if found, it'll make the truck crank ?) the rest on on or acc ... pole's ... 

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the only thing I don't know what it is would be the one smaller gauge (18 i think) black wire.  Not sure what it powers up so I put it on the ign stud.    Doesn't seem to do anything. 

I put a chevy part on my Dodge. The orange part that is holding the generic ignition switch. 
The steering wheel is from a different year. 

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I did not know that. 

Since the wiring has a different connector I wouldn't want to jerry rig the wiring.  But in a pinch it's nice to know that. 
How does it expand exactly? 

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
lets get this straight , you won't rewire a connector , but  you will do what you did do ? as long as the headlamp dimmer and the wiper switch is not on the column , the rewire should not be too bad , and your knee may one day thank you .  ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I did now is a temporary fix until I can find the correct column. 

I have a tilt column that is super nice but has a different connector underneath.  It's a later year column. 
The whole reason I'm looking for the correct column is so that I can not have Jerry rigged shit anywhere on the truck. 

·
Administrator
62,313 Posts
BIG BEE 440 said:
I also got a red Brake light in the instrument display when I touched the small black wire to the BAT terminal.

So, that would be my lights maybe for the instrument cluster?
Would that need to be ACC or IGN.

OR are the lights for the instrument cluster only controlled by the pull knob on the dash?
That wire, turns the brake light on when you are starting the truck as a way to verify the bulb works. One of those things that you see, but never sinks in your brain as to why.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a small gauge black wire that goes through my column to the ignition switch.  I couldn't find where it went because it goes into a bundle of wires up behind the dash.
  Today I figured out what that one small black wire was connected to.  The E brake.
I had said on the other thread that the e brake light had came on once when I was messing with that wire.  Well, I pushed in the e brake so I could do a neutral transmission fluid check and smoke came out through my dash.
  I located the burned wire, one end goes to the e brake switch, the other end goes to the steering column harness and up to the ignition switch (apparently not supposed to).
  Now I have absolutely no start.
I have power into the fuse box via the larger red wire.
I have power to the starter via the largest red wire.
I have power running back to the trailer lights via a smaller red wire.

When I check the red wire coming through the firewall that goes up to the ignition switch I show a very faint amount of power.
I turn the key on the ignition switch and get absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
obtain a factory wire diagram and the mystery will be solved . I think some one said thats where it went though ... ? 

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.