Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  So, when my truck sits for a few days, when I start it, no matter how long it sits in P to warm up, when I do finally put it in R or D, it takes a while for my transmission to engage. But if I shift into N for about 5 seconds then into R or D it acts just fine. Does this sound like a simple driveway fix or shop time?
  Thanks for any advice,
  ZOMBIE
  86 RamCharger
360+4
727 auto
4x4
3:23

·
Registered
649 Posts
On classic three speed automatic Mopar transmissions (like your 727), the transmission pump does not engage in park.  It has to be in a gear or in neutral.  I would check your fluid level and band adjustment.  Otherwise, it sounds like your trans might be getting worn out.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Nah, the fluid just drains out of everything when it sits a while. Let it idle in neutral for 10 or 20 seconds before dropping it in gear.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes sorta normal , the converter drains back so its only 1/2 full , and gets NO oil untill selector is in N or drive , takes a few to fill up .

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
its called "dodgenomovuscoldus"  and you can search the site for the write up about , common problem and as long as you keep starting it in neutral the tranny will last years , the actual cause of it is the "check valve" in the input stator shaft , it sticks open and lets the torque converter to drain back into the tranny , so the tranny wont move till the TC fills back up , also note that a dodge tranny does NOT pump full pressure in park = hence it moves faster in neutral to fill it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.