Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Folks, I am at my wit's end with this truck. Everything electrical under the hood has been changed with the exception of the coil and the distributor. The truck will start when you hit the key and then quit. However, if i run a hot wire from the battery to the coil, she will fire right up and purr like a kitten. I was thinking mabe Ignition Switch ? Does anybody have an idea. I went and bought a new one today, but i would like to make sure to check with you all first. The infamous Ballast Resistor must be working because i bypassed it during a test and it did the same as if i left it connected. Please help. Thanks, Dennis ???

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Do you still have a dual pickup distributor.. One is for start.. the other is for run.. Sound like a place to start looking

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
What I would try in order:

1) The 'run' circuit in the ignition switch has no power--check fusible links.
2) Swap BR with a known working one--they are only $2-3 and it pays to have a spare...
3) Pickup-reluctor gap is dist is not set correctly, should be .008" IIRC
4) Swap coil with known working one.

-SM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awyseguy said:
Do you still have a dual pickup distributor.. One is for start.. the other is for run.. Sound like a place to start looking
Yes, it has the dual pickup distributor. I do not know anything about how they work, Guess i will have to get my haynes manual out and read up on it. How would i check if it is working properly or not ? Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slanted_Mind said:
What I would try in order:

1) The 'run' circuit in the ignition switch has no power--check fusible links.
2) Swap BR with a known working one--they are only $2-3 and it pays to have a spare...
3) Pickup-reluctor gap is dist is not set correctly, should be .008" IIRC
4) Swap coil with known working one.

-SM
What do you mean by "Swapping the BR" ? I have no clue to this dual pickup distributor stuff. I am what i call "Old School" I prefer the simple way. Why did they have to go and mess up a good thing by putting computers in my truck ? Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
810 Posts
Swapping the BR = Changing the ballast resistor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moparman440 said:
Swapping the BR = Changing the ballast resistor.
OK Thanks. I should have figured that out last night, but i guess i was just too tired. I will go buy a new one today and probably a coil also and go from there. Thanks, Dennis :-\

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't have any diagrams handy so I'll explain how that dual pick-up distributor is laid out. One of the leads ( the start one) gets the ignition fed from one side of the ballast resistor(pre resistor for hotter starting spark).. and the other lead.. gets fed from the reduced side of the resistor. It's been a long day, so I can't think.. But I am leaning towards the ballast resistor as well. Since your start circuit is working.. and the run is not. Might just try bypassing it for now..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awyseguy said:
I don't have any diagrams handy so I'll explain how that dual pick-up distributor is laid out. One of the leads ( the start one) gets the ignition fed from one side of the ballast resistor(pre resistor for hotter starting spark).. and the other lead.. gets fed from the reduced side of the resistor. It's been a long day, so I can't think.. But I am leaning towards the ballast resistor as well. Since your start circuit is working.. and the run is not. Might just try bypassing it for now..
I connected the 2 wires that go into the ballast resistor and had the same results. I am beginning to suspect the coil mabe weak or i have a bad pickup in the distributor.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Are the connectors to the distributor orientated the same..?? If so you could swap them to see if it's the pick up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awyseguy said:
Are the connectors to the distributor orientated the same..?? If so you could swap them to see if it's the pick up.
I Will have to check on that in the morning as it is over at my shop where i work right now and i am on vacation all week so i can try to grt this thing going again. I will keep everyone posted here on what i find out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Before you replace the magnetic pickups, make sure they are set properly. All you need is a screwdriver and a set of brass feeler gauges--$2 at any parts store (make sure it is brass or other non-magnetic material) Pop the cap off the dist, and check the air gap between the reluctor (star-shaped deal on dist shaft) and the pickup. Dual pickup dists have slightly different specs than std electronic ignition, but somewhere in the .008" to .012" range should be fine for both pickups. If the 'run' pickup is gapped over .020" you have likely found your problem.

If the air gaps all appear correct, then the run pickup is probably shot (they like to work cold, then stop working when hot) There is a resistance test to check them, but I do not recall the acceptable range.

Have you tried a new BR yet?
Have you tried another coil yet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts