Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, trying to figure out where the oil is going. I have no smoke on start, I haven't seen a cloud of blue behind me, the air cleaner area is clean, the spark plugs are the cleanest I have every seen. Here are the compression numbers
1=119
2=110
3=110
4=115
5=121
6=110
7=120
8=115

·
Registered
399 Posts
Lot of miles on engine? Likely worn valve guides,seals. Check to be sure PCV system is operating as it should.
If valve guides aren't too worn,valve seals could be replaced and can be done in the truck. Done this a couple times,on one engine,basically stopped smoking/using oil and lasted for about 40k miles at which point truck was traded in.
The other vehicle was using oil about same rate as yours and new valve seals  slowed that down to @900-1k miles to a quart of oil and that lasted 4 years before a drunk driver hit it while parked in front of the house.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the original valve stem seals , an umbrella style , get hard and brittle over time , they then break up and chunks wind up stuck in the oil pick up tube's screen .  IF you have a paved road hill nearby , warm up motor , drive down hill , let OFF gas , a while , then step back on gas , watch for smoke puff ( high engine vacume draws oil past bad seals )    warm engine UP hill ON throttle , smoke , oil past oil rings ....

valve seals CAN be done with heads ON , then if they ARE all broke up , I'd pull the oil pan , and pick up screen / replace it OR wash in gas and tap it to dislodge junk from under the 1/2 covered portion .... IF it sounds like a baby rattle after a good wash/soak , there is still chunks in it ......all can be done motor assembled and IN truck . 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.