Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help. Two days ago I was driving my truck and luckily as soon as I pulled in my driveway the truck just out of the blue died and wont start back up. So after trying to figure out the problem most of the day today here is what I got. I found that I wasnt getting any spark. So I checked the positive connection to the coil and low and behold no juice going to it. Anyway there was this white male/female connector so I checked the connections there, well on the side with the wires coming from the ballast resistor (male side) I had juice and the female side going to the coil I had no juice. So in all my wisdom I connected the the plug together and then cut the wires and connected them back together with my electrical connectors and tossed that nasty plug into the bed. Well after I connect everything back together I still have no juice to the coil. Now getting a little frustrated, I check the ballast resistor, the top connection of the resistor is getting juice, but the bottom wire (the one going to my Coil ) is not getting any, so I pull the bottom connector off the ballast resistor. With the top wire plugged in, both connectors on the ballast resistor get juice, but as soon as I plug in the bottom connection (the connection going to the coil) it doesnt get juice anymore even though the top wire is hot. ???

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the male/female connector I was talking about. I cut the wires from it and connected each of the wires back together.

·
7,995 Posts
Jump the 2 connector plugs on the ballast resistor and see if it runs. During "start" you are supposed to get a full 12 volts from the starter relay and during "run" you are supposed to get around 8volts through the ballast resistor.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I jump them????
What I cant figure out is, why when I unplug the bottom plug of the ballast resistor the terminal goes hot but when I plug it back in it goes dead even thought the top terminal is hot.

·
7,995 Posts
Maybe you have a short in the coil which is dragging the voltage down? You can use a paper clip or wire to jump over the ballast...you can also hot wire the coil and apply 12 volts directly to the coil. Are you checking for the voltage at the ballast resistor with both plgs connected to it..or are you checking at the coil?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I check the ballast resistor with both plugs plugged in, the bottom plug (going to the coil) is dead.
But when I unplug the bottom terminal and leave the top one plugged in, the bottom terminal is hot (until I plug the plug in, and then it goes dead)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before I cut the wires from the 4 pin plug I had juice all the way to the 4 pin connector from the ballast resistor. But I didnt have juice on the other side of the 4 pin plug to the coil. So I thought that that 4 pin plug was shot cause it was pretty dirty and nasty. So when I cut the wires on both sides of the 4 pin connector and then connected each on back together is when the bottom ballast resistor plug when tits up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I went and bought a new Ballast Resistor, plugged everything up, and my ballast resistor started smoking. ???

Now I really have a headache.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
You have a short---something is no longer wired correctly. From your description it sounds like the 'bottom' BR wire is shorted to ground....check the continuity on this wire, and trace it looking for cracked/worn through insulation.

-SM

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have bought a new coil and had the ECU tested. The ECU tested good. I have checked and rechecked the bottom wire coming off the BR and it's good. I've even put the positve wire on the coil and tested it and it has power, as soon as I touch the negative wire to the negative terminal on the coil I lose power ???. Does anybody have any ideas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts